There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Yahoo's are wesome

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-benefits
-management is very willing to listen to frontline workers
-laid Back Culture

Cons

-limited mobility while in Omaha

1813 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Benevolent dictatorship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

Smart people who care about others.
    Benefits were good and some getting better.
    Potential to impact large scale

Cons

CEO is smart and hard-working but green. Her biggest mistake is that she surrounded herself with ex-Google yes-men and other very inexperienced people who are now in big roles. They make bad decision that are easily avoidable. They also don't take the time to communicate appropriately, for example WFH and reviews/salary increases.

Yes, new people bring fresh perspective. Balance that with voices of experience. Otherwise you are wasting time and burning out people to re-invent the wheel.

Don't do contract work for Yahoo.

Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Yahoo treats regular employees well, they are trying to implement new management techniques like "Tribal Leadership" and "KanBan." The free food is a nice perk - but really helps the company since there are no nearby restaurants. To a contractor, It felt like regular employees were satisfied overall with their jobs.

Cons

My immediate managers were terrible. Hands off is OK, but they gave no feedback or misleading information. In retrospect, I felt I was being set-up to fail. For contractors, tribal leadership means you get voted off the island before you even have a chance to see where the island is.

Check on how your middle managers handle contractors. If a middle manager recommends terminating contracts after five weeks in the middle of training, something is seriously broken somewhere. Either your hiring process is broken, or your expectations are unrealistic. Try to figure out what's broken first. My impression is Ready, Fire, Aim is what is going on.

I came into with Yahoo with a positive attitude, ready and able to make a contribution. I feel betrayed and disillusioned. Getting let go the same day two new people are brought in, is just wrong. Perhaps terror tactics work at first for dictatorships, but usually end badly for the dictators and the countries they lead.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo