There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Amazing people and possibilities but bleak

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Amazing people working on unsurpassed problems and solving with great excellence. People do not appreciate the great undertaking of maintaing one of the biggest websites on the planet and yet still keep innovating.

Cons

Although a lot of people are very excited to be working at Yahoo, it looks like a lot of people still lost that fire that were keeping them going.

Advice to Management

Make sure people are excited to be at Yahoo. There is a lot of potential here and the Yahoo brand is still worth a lot.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people, not so great company

Current Employee - Technical Yahoo in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Yahoo in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

The people I worked with directly were all, to a person, really great. They were smart and conscientious and I remain good friends with many of them. My manager was also very flexible with work hours and vacation time.

There is a really awesome amount of computing power available at Yahoo, and it is a lot of fun to work on such huge systems. There are only a handful of companies in the world where this is possible, and Yahoo is one of them.

Cons

Part of it could be my own fault for not tooting my own horn enough, but there was essentially no recognition for any amount of good work, at least among my direct coworkers. There also did not seem to be many opportunities for advancement. Additionally, there was very poor leadership from the top on down in terms of priorities and projects, with huge swings from week to week. "So I just worked 90 hours last week finishing this code, and it's no longer a priority?" There was also a lack of vision or direction, which resulted in a lot of busywork that really wasn't that important but _had_ to be completed immediately. Management at all levels often tells the employees things that are obviously not true, and which often contradict things the employees were told mere days or weeks before.

Advice to Management

Stop coddling incompetent managers. The management structure is completely dysfunctional. Important revenue-impacting projects are held up for months or years because a separate group is incompetent. There are always lots of meetings to discuss these sorts of things, meetings which are never helpful and usually just go around in circles. I have seen a series of weekly meetings end up exactly where they started 6 months earlier!

A great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Great folks, can-do attitude, the salaries are great, lively environment, great location in California

Cons

Bonuses are stingy, teams do not always collaborate, takes too much time to get other teams to do things right (may impede your own progress), data quality is highly buggy and takes too much time to figure out, too many migration projects and stale projects, too little support on important projects, product managers sometimes run the show (into the ground)

Advice to Management

Please see my comments above, and try to retain the best employees.