Yahoo

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Culture

Former Employee - Media and Entertainment in Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Media and Entertainment in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hired the best and the brightest but with little to no oversight. Very little direction.

Cons

Lack of overall mission led to decreased morale and bad business decisions, rapidly falling behind.

My advice is out of date.

1903 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Night and day improvement from one year ago. Still work to do, but great momentum now!

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Marissa has brought huge, positive changes to the company. The company is operating with a sense of vision and urgency that hasn't been seen since it's very early days. What used to take 18 months to get done is now taking less than six. Having everyone work in the office everyday again instead of seeing random people working from home on any given day and on every Friday has made a big difference. With everyone working together in the office 5 days a week instead of 3-4 days a week the company overall is noticeably more productive now. The free food and free smartphones are great, but by far the best change that has happened since Marissa took over is seeing the company focus back on making user-centric products, instead of developing products primarily to satisfy the demands coming from advertisers. The culture of transparency exhibited at each Friday's all-hands meetings led by Marissa has been a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Despite all of the positive changes we've seen over the past year, there are still way, way too many managers. The company could eliminate 50% of the managers and there would still be too many managers.

Please consider how we can streamline the org chart so we can all work more efficiently. With all of the employee surveys that we've been asked to participate in recently, I don't think I've heard anyone ask for MORE managers, but that's what we keep getting.

Fun and awesome place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager Policy in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Policy in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people; great benefits ; great momentum

Cons

management mediocre at times - with little accountability

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo