Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
  www.yahoo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

A company on the up and up

Former Employee - Technical Intern I in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Technical Intern I in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic Intern Perks: In addition to the great campus perks (free food, transportation, 24-hour gym, etc.), there were some great intern only events, both for fun (trip to Giants game, Santa Cruz), and for getting a better sense of Yahoo (tech talks where engineers talk about their work, and distinguished speaker series where high level executives, even marissa, come and talk to us)
- optimistic workforce: I could see that some people really believes in Marissa's vision and seem excited about their work.
- great ceo: Speaking of Marissa, she's great, really down to earth, and I can see her taking Yahoo far.
- Get to work on a pretty substantial project and present it to other Yahoo employees at the end of the summer.
- Yahoo has been in an upswing lately, and I believe that it's only going to get better.

Cons

- older workforce: There was a bit of a culture gap as everyone in my team seemed to be in their late thirties.
- too many meetings/delayed communication: having come from an internship where I could ask for help simply by walking to someone (it was a startup and so everyone was in the same room), I was taken aback by how many meetings there were. It seemed like my manager insisted on scheduling meetings when it could have been a quick sync up by the cubes. Note that Marissa has acknowledged this and wants to fix it. If something required help from another team, you could wait for a while for a response to your issue.

Give Interns housing instead of making them find it themselves.

1866 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Good so far, NCG software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly, very transparent culture. Lots of smart people, lots of people to ask for help. All-hands meetings every Friday help build culture and positive attitude. Striving for new and improved everything.

Cons

Lots of management, still stuck in some old ways (kind of a given for a company that's been around so long)

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, everyone is very friendly

Cons

We are using Agile model but upper management still operate as waterfall

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo