Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Lots of good people, huge numbers of users, needs to cut layers

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people. Tons of users. Lots of opportunity if you're effective at getting things done in big organizations.

Cons

Too many layers, which slows does the ability to innovate and respond effectively to opportunities.

Cut the layers. Focus on the key media properties: Sport, News, Finance, Front Page

1958 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Overall satisfied but company can still have some dark age tendencies.

Former Employee - Design in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Design in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company was in the process of rising from the dead and rebranding itself after many years of unfortunate circumstance and mismanagement. Very cool to see this internally. Has great atmosphere and most teams are pretty cohesive. Though pay is moderate, they take very good care of their employees. Did I mention lunch is free!?

Cons

Still has dinosaur tendencies. Office can feel a bit cramped with the looming sense that you are being fried by fluorescent light. Four quarterly reviews is pretty excessive. Can get lost in the Goliath of an infrastructure. Not too many company outings or team building opportunities; I still felt after a year in the office that I barely knew anyone as most people kept to themselves under tall cubicle walls.

Customer Care fosters a culture of bullying and unethical practices

Former Employee - Customer Care Training in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Care Training in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, a lot of people on the lower rungs who honestly want to do a great job and think about the customer.

Cons

There has been so much change and leadership swapping that the mid-level managers who are still there are often the ones that are the least qualified (if they had anything on the ball, they would have gone somewhere else) and the most unethical.

It isn't hard to find them. Look for the ones who have very high turnover and have negative reviews from their teams. I don't know how they talk their way out of it because the data is there.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo