There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Exciting time to be at Yahoo

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

I joined before Marissa took charge so I had the privilege of seeing the change from old Yahoo to new Yahoo.

Perks of old Yahoo: Free medical and dental coverage, casual attire, smart people (but jaded due to poor leadership), buzzing office environment, very competitive pay.

Additional perks after new Yahoo w/Marissa: Free food, free smart phones, strong leadership, smart people (now enthused about the great trajectory and changes that have been thoughtfully and efficiently executed), the leadership sets challenging goals, they are not just sales people they work very hard to fix issues that were previously ignored. It of course takes time, but changes are absolutely happening. It's a great time to be at Yahoo.

Cons

We do not market. There is a mentality about not bragging and I hate that people love to hate on yahoo because sometimes people love to see an old successful corporate giant fail and this is what happened.

There is practically no PR team. Before I joined Yahoo, I felt the same way as everyone else...it was an old giant trying to stay alive and losing to Google and FB. After joining and after Marissa's complete overhaul of management, I learned we are top rank in a number of categories: Yahoo Sports is #1, Yahoo Finance is #1, Yahoo Mail is #2, Yahoo is #1 in traffic, Yahoo Weather App won "Apple's Design Award" beating out all other apps...these are just a few of the 2013 rankings.

5 years ago, I'd want to work at Google, but you want to be somewhere that's gaining momentum and that's Yahoo. We are an underdog, but we stay hungry and we have a strong leadership now. There is so much to be excited for.

We have a lot to be proud of. Market more and educate people. Case and point - that negative work from home news that went viral - did you know that only affected a handful of employees who were taking advantage of this by not logging in when they did "WFH". Externally it became big news, internally it was a simple and necessary call out to a small group of slackers. Work life balance is key here and WFH is never an issue for reliable and trustworthy teammates, as is the case with any company.

1764 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

It's great working at a company with very smart, motivated individuals

Current Employee - Director, Advertising Solutions  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Advertising Solutions in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. The culture is new and approved with Marissa Mayer on Board
    2. They push you to think outside the box
    3. There's great collaboration, accountability and reward

Cons

Slow to make decisions. Too many layers for approvals

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Platform Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance and competitive salary. Also very smart people to work along side. Have the ability to move laterally and to other groups.

Cons

Initiatives move slowly. A lot of process that is inherent in large companies.

Things have been improving, so keep improving morale and product to keep and gain users.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!