There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

headed back downhill again

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you can learn a lot and take a look at a lot of different technologies
standard silicon valley perks
there was a lot of positive energy and buzz in 2013

Cons

surprise changes in policy that are to your disadvantage (e.g. shortly before annual rewards per level bonus payout percentages are lowered drastically)
unfair compensation, huge spread
the old guard still rules, hard to change things, change is slow
a lot of policies sound better when announced by the CEO compared to what happens when they are implemented
lackluster products, no real innovation
a lot of iteration and reimplementation without ever shipping or only shipping after a lot of iteration and several reimplementations
bureaucracy, red tape and policy jungle
you might wait months until IT has your notebook ready (backlog due to budget constraints)

There is a severe lack of accountability and ownership in the management chain between the SVP and the engineer.

reviews filtered by

yahoo review

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with at the peer level. Free food and free coffee.

Cons

The company seems to be doing way too much at the same time. Yahoo has a very aggressive management; they seem to be trying to please the investors more than their subscribers.

Yahoo needs to focus on projects that produce a better return on investment.

Really not that great

I worked at Yahoo full-time

Pros

Good benefits and free snacks and drinks in breakrooms.

Cons

This was a company I really had high hopes for and after one year left with a bad taste in my mouth. The job presented during the interview process was not at all what it really was along with not being told we'd be working all holidays including Christmas! Important policies were never discussed or thoroughly understood at any level of management at our location and threats were given to employees before managers even had correct information on policies. Disorganized, very unfair work environment, favoritism that was blinding at our location and downright dishonesty from management down. People in our department were given special projects before even proving they could do the job they were hired for as other solid workers that had been there longer sat and watched in disbelief.

When your motto is: "we only hire college graduates" make sure you treat them as such and not as disposable "agents" or "tech's" it is very degrading. No other advice is needed since HR does nothing to handle the real issues that have been turned over to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo