There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Potential but still a lot of baggage from the past.

Former Employee - Research in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Research in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked Marissa Mayer a lot. She was pretty inspiring and seemed to really care about the welfare of the company. There is a lot of fear and baggage from the past that seeps into everything. Company has some sort of complex despite having a lot of smart people and good content.

The research work I did was really interesting. And in the time I was there, I saw some major improvements. I use Yahoo more than ever now. Met a few nice people. Fun sports and food. Had all the parts.

Cons

Not the most ethical group. Fear and the past challenges really have clouded some people's outlook. Quite sad. Typical big company politics and back stabbing. Felt a little more magnified here.

Some people really lacked character. Many who have been there a while have a very pessimistic view of Yahoo!. At times I wondered if they wanted Yahoo! to fail. I had never really seen that before.

The review "process" was a mess and not followed at all despite earnest promises. Still lots of non-sense.

Advice to Management

Split up the company into smaller more nimble and relevant groups. All the ingredients for greatness are there, but need to undo some things. Manage less on clicks and more on quality. Maybe admit your not a tech company in the traditional sense and focus on content---seemed like you were on the right path.

Try to encourage a real meritocracy, not just talk.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” – Thomas Paine

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very Poor ending due to "Stacking" policy.

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Quincy, WA
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Quincy, WA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a good "cool" factor. It was great the first 4-1/2 years of building teams and making "it" work.

Cons

Mid level management seemed to "implode", especially in facilities infrastructure. Upper level management became focused on team destruction instead of building after "stacking" policy was implimented.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Dump the stacking policy. It didn't work at GE or Microsoft; why do they think it can work there? Get some management in that is capable of building teams.

Great CEO, Great benefit, poor middle management and politics

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

Great Benefit and nice to employees (Free food, company shuttle, free gym, etc.)
    Marissa is the greatest asset in yahoo. She has lots of great ideas and she put lots of afford to make Yahoo a better company. Very transparent with company policy and very open minded to new ideas that is good for Yahoo.

Cons

Non technical manager are leading the team that create many misunderstanding. It is hard to imagine the person giving the task without knowing how to do the task.
    Middle management are not working but surfing online. I have seen some people that never be in the office but only come when their boss is here.
    Peer review is great start to review talent but a lot of people are not telling the truth as of i heard

Advice to Management

Yahoo probably need more engineer, scientist or analyst to build great product instead of manager and director