There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Potential but still a lot of baggage from the past.

Former Employee - Research  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Research in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked Marissa Mayer a lot. She was pretty inspiring and seemed to really care about the welfare of the company. There is a lot of fear and baggage from the past that seeps into everything. Company has some sort of complex despite having a lot of smart people and good content.

The research work I did was really interesting. And in the time I was there, I saw some major improvements. I use Yahoo more than ever now. Met a few nice people. Fun sports and food. Had all the parts.

Cons

Not the most ethical group. Fear and the past challenges really have clouded some people's outlook. Quite sad. Typical big company politics and back stabbing. Felt a little more magnified here.

Some people really lacked character. Many who have been there a while have a very pessimistic view of Yahoo!. At times I wondered if they wanted Yahoo! to fail. I had never really seen that before.

The review "process" was a mess and not followed at all despite earnest promises. Still lots of non-sense.

Split up the company into smaller more nimble and relevant groups. All the ingredients for greatness are there, but need to undo some things. Manage less on clicks and more on quality. Maybe admit your not a tech company in the traditional sense and focus on content---seemed like you were on the right path.

Try to encourage a real meritocracy, not just talk.

“Character is much easier kept than recovered.” – Thomas Paine

1765 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Yahoooooooooo!

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

technology. Y! is the front runner in technology. If you want to work/contribute to cutting edge technology, this is one of the place u would love to be.

Cons

too much politics in mid level management.

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Senior Design Manager User Experience  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Design Manager User Experience in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The good things about Yahoo! are that there ARE opportunities for those who are smart self-starters and demonstrate results. The Company tries to cultivate a relationship with their employees and create a energized work atmosphere.

Cons

Unfortunately, leadership has been so overwhelmingly poor and disfunctional for many years, and priorities kept shifting, which resulted in team burn-out and inability to make real change. The Company has never been able to truly innovate because of this churn, losing out on the potential of engaging it's massive audience reach.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!