There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Yahoo = Second Banana

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Benefits are really good, subsidized cafeteria, great people.

Cons

Lack of direction, morale. Google gets all the attention (and profits). Squandering of a formerly great company.

1) Big layoffs to reduce expenses
2) Figure out what Yahoo stands for - no one seems to know (Google = search, Microsoft = software, Yahoo = ??? email, gossip news???, large audience??). When I was there, Marketing couldn't come up w/ a coherent message b/c no one could figure out what defines Yahoo. A bunch of lame marketing at that time - FUSE acronym, TV commercials w/ people carrying around placards w/ URLs on them, etc.

1775 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Good place to work though not sure about career advancement.

Former Employee - Media Library Assistant  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Media Library Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Work environment is laid back and people are very friendly. Management is open to training their employees new skills and allows them to pick projects that they may have an interest in. Time was reasonably flexible (can come in a little later to leave later) and was not micro-managed.

Cons

As a contractor, did not get many benefits that full time employees got. Was hard to be promoted to full time due to what we were told as "budget reasons," though many of us were welcomed back after contracts expired.

When passing down new information or important instructions, make sure it's clear that all your employees get the message. Often times we had to learn from each other when there was changes.

I have nothing good to say about Yahoo, but I love it there.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo does a very good job allowing you to maintain a good work/life balance

Cons

Software engineering at Yahoo is a joke

Stop paying yourselves so much. Fire most of the "architects" and replace them with people who have some idea what they're doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!