There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Still not a bad place to work and has potential in the future

Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

If you have a good manager who allows you to do your job, you can contribute to and build some exciting products. Perks and benefits are pretty good as well.

Cons

Sr management is slow to make decisions and managers constantly switch priorities to the hot topic of the day. The culture has become very risk adverse so prototyping or releasing beta products are incredibly difficult to do.

Advice to Management

Clear out the dead weight in sr management, focus on core businesses, and invest heavily in them. Allow business owners to take risks where appropriate and be willing to accept failure as part of the business.

reviews filtered by
  1. Internet University, in decline.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

It's Internet University. Involved in everything. Watching hundreds of millions of users every day. Really great talent.

Cons

Process-hostile. Reluctant to make tough decisions. Very short term horizons.

Advice to Management

Pick what game you want to play and play it to win. Quit spreading bets so thin.

2. Definitely a great place to work - back in the day.

Former Employee - PR Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - PR Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Everything you need in life is right there on campus - food, shipping services, photo development, haircuts, coffee, you name it. You could basically live on campus if needed. Another great thing - especially for working new moms - are the Mother's Rooms, which I never fully appreciated until I had a child and then I took advantage of them every chance I could get. They basically set up the campus so you can do everything you need to do and then some. Did I mention the oil changes and car washes? It's really incredible the things they set up for their employees.

Cons

Management can't seem to make up it's mind. About anything. And there's a lot of red tape, for even the simplest of things. It takes forever to get things approved, to move them from idea stage to implementation. Lots and lots (and lots) of huge egos here, and that makes things difficult - too many people insisting it be their way or the highway. Which is depressing, because there were tons of great people and great ideas that - had they been implemented in a reasonable timeframe - would have put Y! ahead of Google YEARS ago and kept us there.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the needs of your employees in the professional arena - we need more than just coffee. We have valuable feedback. And if we say hello to you in URLs, feel free to respond. The Y! culture purports to center around fun, but really, it's all talk. Make it fun again.