Research in Biomedical Engineering

Former Intern - Research Assistant in New Haven, CT
Former Intern - Research Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for young new students in research. Cutting edge research with fellow students from the undergraduate community. I learned how to culture cells, use different imaging microscopes, and improved my presenting skills.

Cons

Long hours for only experience. Sometimes your food is not secure in the shared fridge space. The office space is a little out of the way of you don't have a car. People are very driven and it is hard to get people to separate from their project and help you with your work if they can help.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Where you work defines your experience.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in New Haven, CT

I worked at Yale University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having the Yale brand on your resume is a terrific life-long asset. Generally the staff are very helpful. While my day -to-day life often felt isolated, I enjoyed my experiences with various student groups, seminars, etc. Also, the Graduate Career Resource Center is incredible. They invite top consulting firms, host resume workshops, dissertation boot camps, and invite guest speakers from inside and outside academia so you know all your options when you graduate. It's entirely up to you to get out there and make the most of your time at Yale.

Cons

As a graduate researcher, my day-to-day life felt very isolating. My once large and thriving lab shrunk considerably in size as people graduated and funding dried up. I found that un-tenured professors are usually very stressed out and can overwork their students. On the flip side, tenured professors are way too laid back and don't move fast enough on publications, grant proposals, etc. Choose your mentor wisely, and be sure to change mentors early on if things look like they're not working out.

Advice to Management

Consider a rotation program for incoming graduate researchers. Let newcomers experience ~3 labs/mentors before they commit to one.

2. Brings back fond memories

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in New Haven, CT
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Yale University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Work independently Very friendly coworkers Learn and explore new technologies and processes

Cons

Scheduling meetings with coworkers can be challenging because everyone is busy, not really a con, just a challenge.