There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle was a very fair and worker friendly company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

Health Benefits
Easy retail position.
Easy to talk to upper management.
Upper management always wanted input from the "front-lines".
Fun product to sell.

Cons

Hard to move up within the company.
Alot of favoratism.
Sometimes the upper management did not have a clue as to what the store/"frontline" was dealing with on a daily basis.

Please listen to those people who actually are selling your product for you. They are your embasador to the public. If you are not listening to them, why bother with stores and just sell the product via internet or catalog.

198 Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle (View Most Recent)

If you want to get into the sales world someday, its a good place to start

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

50% discount on wax products.
    Friendly, nice smelling atmosphere.
    For the most part, a good team to work with.
    The product is very good quality, so you won't have a problem trying to sell it.
    Our store tired to make incentives for employees who sold the most, which was nice.
    Mileage compensation for .50 cents per mile when you worked at other stores, although you HAVE to stay on top of your reports and make sure the DM sends the info to payroll or you won't get your money.

Cons

The District Manager's tactics for getting their store to run were TERRIBLE. Every time the DM came into the store, we either walked on egg shells or we'd get a severe stern talk. Our team was literally shaking in our boots when they walked in. How can you expect your stores to run well out of fear?
    Retail hours are terrible. Luckily my store manager knew I had family that lived far away from the beginning and I was able to negotiate time off during holidays. Still, if you want a set schedule, this is not for you. If you are an associate, your hours are VERY LOW and at the worst times possible- nights and weekends.
    For what you do, the pay isn't worth it. For being a second assistant manager, I was constantly checking the ADS, making sure the store was organized on an OCD level, coaching the staff to constantly stick to the ASAP, answering emails, answering guests concerns, I ALWAYS got stuck doing store shipment, YOU CANNOT SIT DOWN unless you are on break, which is a joke anyway because if youre the only manager there you can't leave the store. I made $9/hr, less than my friend makes at his internship and he sits at a computer and looks at ESPN all day.
    Hours were always varied. Since I was part time, some weeks I worked 12 hours, some I worked 34. And the schedules more often than not came out 2 days before the new week- not very professional.

Get your DMs to be more positive. If you expect us to sell your product and be enthused about it, be enthused about your employees. Train them well and compensate them for a job well done.

Great job if you don't mind competition, and store manager not doing their job

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

- 50% discount
    - benefits after first 90 days for PT -- not that great though.
    -flexible scheduling for the most part

Cons

-was left being the only manager
    -low staff so it's hard to get someone to cover
    -favortism
    -ADS is a major factor, if you're not making it you're in trouble.

Do what you preach, don't put it all on one manager. Develop your associates so you can promote within. Don't gossip. If you have a problem, speak it.

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle