There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Great company, but try and work in a larger store

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment on the weekends or during the holiday season. Discounts on almost all product. Many guests are regulars and will stop in to chat. Company strives to make meeting our sales goals interesting.

Cons

Extremely slow on weekdays in the summer. We can go 3 hours without a single person walking in. Sometimes an employee will be by herself for more than 6 hours. With only 5 employees, there's a lot of cattiness. (It's mainly a personality issue with my coworkers though. Other stores don't have the same problem.) Two girls have been in the same position for 4 years. It's difficult to move up because everyone likes their job and stays! Our sales goals are individually tracked, but sometimes one person will be stuck on the register and will "steal" sales in order to make sure she meets her goals for the week.

Advice to Management

When there are problems in the store (stealing sales, poor treatment of guests, etc.) and it's brought to your attention, do something about it. Three team members have spoken to our store mgr in the last 6 months about HR/ethics violations by another team member, but she hasn't even been spoken to, let alone written up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

My second time with the company, and they have changed for the worse.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relastionships developed with the customers, the product, and the discounts.

Cons

First of all, the DM was unprofessional. He had no problem berating you, and embarrassing you in front of the guests. He spoke down to the managers on the weekly call, and even went so far as to call them profane names at times. It was always a sick feeling when he was coming or showed up for a visit. He did have a few members that were part of the good ol boys club, and they did no wrong. As an assistant manager, I was responsible, on a couple of occassions of actually running the store as we had no manager, for an extended period of time. There was never any compensation for this, or even a thank you. He rarely checked in with me to see if I needed assistance, but there were a few individuals I could turn to. I think the company has become super obsessed with the secret shops, to the point that you are basically strong arming the customer. There are too many points you HAVE to cover, and it has become robotic, same thing with the check out. You HAVE to ask to many questions, and some customers have gotten nasty with us for that. There was no support for those of us not priviledged to be in the club, if you called the HR rep, that confidential call was "shared" with the DM.

Advice to Management

Tone down the secret shops. Your customers are getting the best service they can, the people working in your stores know the best way to work with each guest. Instead of a yearly questionaire, that most managers dont give to their staff, do it quarterly, at least more than 1 time. There are too many situations that come up, and a year is to long. Focus more effort on your employees, they are the reason your customers come back. And make sure when you hire store managers, they actually are properly trained. Reward those who have worked hard and hung in there, dont reward those who have abused the company and wasted time.

2. Ok @ 1st!

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits,discount, and awareness of co to public.

Cons

The dm is VERY hard to get along w/. He is very deceptive & will fire you if you aren't blowing budgets out of the water. The rm is very nasty to people & acts like she is better than you & you're just a pion. The co will not do any advertising outside of emails & leaves it up to store staff to bring guests into the store.Secret shops are a joke if you don't trust us don't hire us. The co will pay a someone who doesn't even work for them to come in & report how I am doing my job. But stores can't have enough payroll to have more than 1 manager & associates there @ a time. Corp doesn't care about what's going on in stores or how we are treated.

Advice to Management

Seems to have too many chiefs & not enough indians!