There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

I love my job and this Company !

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company gives extensive training and development on all levels. You are given MANY tools to develop your business acumen and strategy. The sales program is called A.S.A.P. Used properly, it gives a manager a clear cut manner in which to train everyone in the store (including themselves) in proper sales techniques. It is short and simple and allows you to observe and coach effectively.

The bonus structure is generous. If you make your goals, EVERYONE gets a bonus, irregardless of your position and hours that you work. The Company's attitude is that it takes a team to achieve great sales results. As a SM, we have a lot of responsibility, however, it is not a success in which we can take all of the credit ! It takes a village...

Your days fly by !!! There is ALWAYS something to do if business is slow. The customers are loyal to the brand and quite proud of this ! The Company's return policy is generous which makes the customers happy and assures repeat business. For the most part, our customers are wonderful and a lot of fun.

Cons

The downside is more of a comment on retail management in general- in light of the economic climate. Yankee Candle is no worse than any other retailer at this time. No matter where you are working, management is expected to do more with less payroll. If you are the kind of manager that is committed to growing your business, you will have long work weeks. 50+ hrs most of the time. Holidays there are more expectations for your time in the store. But you are given comp days.

Quicker turnaround on replenishment.

Simplify communications. TOO MANY EMAILS !!!! Let us run our stores and spend our time servicing customers. It is crazy to have to check two email boxes MULTIPLE times, daily, in order to react on a dime !

194 Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle (View Most Recent)

Times are changing.

I worked at Yankee Candle

Pros

Still a great product. Mostly friendly people to work with.

Cons

In a controversial situation higher ups will always side with the manager/employee with the higher job title or experience even when all evidence is to the contrary. My manager thought she was being funny by grabbing me by the base of the neck and shaking me. I ended up in urgent care that evening with doctors concerned that my rotary cuff was damaged. Great way to spend your Christmas. Even after complaining to human resources and having doctors reports to support my complaint I got nowhere. Then If you get on the bad/difficult list you will be made miserable and want to leave. The unbelievable part is upper management allows the verbal and work mistreatment which could be considered illegal to continue.

Believe the employee and the evidence. The best employees are being forced out by uneducated, untrained, foul-mouthed managers who do not have the necessary skills, business acumen, and knowledge of the law to be in their position.

Not what I expected...

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Yankee Candle has great product and I personally don't think its overpriced.

Cons

I know that numbers and goals are an important part of any business. But sometimes I think the numbers that are needed to be met are a little extreme. Depending on your location, you might not see but 20 customers in the morning. And that's not the number of people buying product. I am told not to hound the customers but at the same time ADS needs to be up and we need to get more customers in the store buying. Sometimes we have people who just stop in and then leave. I feel winded and tired at the end of the day just because I have to push push push everything we have. I just wish that the management could show us lowly associates how its done and then maybe we can actually make numbers.

Stop being so bipolar. When we are doing good you are happy and then we make one mistake and its the end of the world.

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!