There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

great brand and some great people, but top management is among the worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Deerfield, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Deerfield, MA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

fabulous brand with incredible equity and loyal consumers

Cons

terrible culture that rewards those that put up & shut up, very little respect or investment in employees,top-down decision making with focus only on very short-term

198 Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle (View Most Recent)

I'm not just an ex-employee, I'm also a customer!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Swansea, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Swansea, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Yankee Candles sell themselves. It's fun learning about the history of the candle business.

Cons

Management at the Swansea Ma store lacks Managerial skills and is not professional to staff in front of customers.

your employees are also your customers so you should treat them well.

I worked seasonal help 2012. Management was very secretive about when our last day of work was. On my last day of work, I asked the store manager about when last day of work was. I explained I did not want to leave without saying thank you and good bye. The store manager told me to call in a few days when the schedule would be done to find out when I was working next.
    when I called back a few days later that same store manager then told me "seasonal help is over, we don't need you anymore".

Not a "thank you", "great season", employment is over, nothing.
    I bought a lot of Yankee Candle product during my employment and to be treated that way in the end was wrong.

Never work here

Former Employee - Store
    Former Employee - Store

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits package and employee discount are both pretty good

Cons

I really don't understand why anyone stays working at this company. I worked there for a year and wish I would have left sooner. I left to manage a larger retail store and am so much happier. I dreaded coming to work every day for Yankee. Managers are just labor savors, you really have too small of a staff to "manage" much. The company is very mis-focused. The 2 large metrics they rate you on is ADS(average dollar per sale) and secret shops. Both show that they care very little about your actual interaction with the guests and developing a rapore with them. using these metrics they train to not care about the guest unless they spend over $30 each visit. I believe you should treat every guest the same when spending $1 or $1000. the secret shop only makes the employees live in fear each day that they will forget one of the many add-ons that don't even relate to what the customer may be purchasing. I mean really how disconnected to your customer can you be to always try to add on a wick trimmer to someone who only wants to fragrance their car?

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle