Never work here

Former Employee - Store
Former Employee - Store

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits package and employee discount are both pretty good

Cons

I really don't understand why anyone stays working at this company. I worked there for a year and wish I would have left sooner. I left to manage a larger retail store and am so much happier. I dreaded coming to work every day for Yankee. Managers are just labor savors, you really have too small of a staff to "manage" much. The company is very mis-focused. The 2 large metrics they rate you on is ADS(average dollar per sale) and secret shops. Both show that they care very little about your actual interaction with the guests and developing a rapore with them. using these metrics they train to not care about the guest unless they spend over $30 each visit. I believe you should treat every guest the same when spending $1 or $1000. the secret shop only makes the employees live in fear each day that they will forget one of the many add-ons that don't even relate to what the customer may be purchasing. I mean really how disconnected to your customer can you be to always try to add on a wick trimmer to someone who only wants to fragrance their car?

Other Reviews for Yankee Candle

I'm not just an ex-employee, I'm also a customer!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Swansea, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Swansea, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Yankee Candles sell themselves. It's fun learning about the history of the candle business.

Cons

Management at the Swansea Ma store lacks Managerial skills and is not professional to staff in front of customers.

your employees are also your customers so you should treat them well.

I worked seasonal help 2012. Management was very secretive about when our last day of work was. On my last day of work, I asked the store manager about when last day of work was. I explained I did not want to leave without saying thank you and good bye. The store manager told me to call in a few days when the schedule would be done to find out when I was working next.
    when I called back a few days later that same store manager then told me "seasonal help is over, we don't need you anymore".

Not a "thank you", "great season", employment is over, nothing.
    I bought a lot of Yankee Candle product during my employment and to be treated that way in the end was wrong.

Loved it!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun staff
    Amazing products I actually liked to sell!
    Floor changes didn't happen frequently

Cons

Pay not very high.
    Sales tactics hound customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle.

Worked for Yankee Candle? Contribute to the Community!