There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Never work here

Former Employee - Store
Former Employee - Store

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits package and employee discount are both pretty good

Cons

I really don't understand why anyone stays working at this company. I worked there for a year and wish I would have left sooner. I left to manage a larger retail store and am so much happier. I dreaded coming to work every day for Yankee. Managers are just labor savors, you really have too small of a staff to "manage" much. The company is very mis-focused. The 2 large metrics they rate you on is ADS(average dollar per sale) and secret shops. Both show that they care very little about your actual interaction with the guests and developing a rapore with them. using these metrics they train to not care about the guest unless they spend over $30 each visit. I believe you should treat every guest the same when spending $1 or $1000. the secret shop only makes the employees live in fear each day that they will forget one of the many add-ons that don't even relate to what the customer may be purchasing. I mean really how disconnected to your customer can you be to always try to add on a wick trimmer to someone who only wants to fragrance their car?

198 Other Employee Reviews for Yankee Candle (View Most Recent)

Loved it!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Yankee Candle part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun staff
    Amazing products I actually liked to sell!
    Floor changes didn't happen frequently

Cons

Pay not very high.
    Sales tactics hound customers.

Not for just any retail worker

Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - First Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Yankee Candle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal attention and service to customers, a great product, easy to sell. Lots of opportunity to move up and show creativity and help people decorate their homes.

Cons

As with any retail: standing for long hours, dealing with cranky guests, trying to make everyone happy from upper management to the sales associates to the customers. Personal attention and service to customers can become tiresome and it is necessary to be creative, be able to think on your feet, multi-task, and make everyone happy all the time. You cannot under any circumstances bring personal life with you. It is imperative to always have a smile and a nod for all customers.

Either pick average dollar sales or conversion to be what is being looked at for what is important for building the business. It cannot be both ways. You guys have GOT to get the replenishment piece fixed for Christmas. It is a nightmare and impossible to set the schedules.

There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle