There are newer employer reviews for Yankee Candle

Culture shifting quickly as executive hoard profits

Former Employee - Manager in Deerfield, MA
Former Employee - Manager in Deerfield, MA

I worked at Yankee Candle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large employer in Western Mass. Most manufacturing in South Deerfield. Basic benefits, 401K, etc. Stable company.

Cons

Watching a handful of executives walk away with hundreds of millions in profits while claiming that 2.5% raises for the rest of us is fair. The company gets rolled every 4 or 5 years and profits generated from that sale go into the hands of a small group of insiders at the very top. Some people who haven't worked here for years continue to draw salaries over $600K. Significant disparities in benefits between an average employee and exec management. Employee engagement at an all time low and continues to spiral as people become more aware of the hoarding of profits by execs.

Advice to Management

Lower the ratio of executive pay to average pay. Real profit sharing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good for students, disorganization has me questioning joining corporate upon graduation.

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that I work with are amazing, and the hours are flexible. They do usually require that everyone is available on weekends, but at least at my location they usually alternate you on weekend and off the next. The shifts are usually reasonable, not too long, not too short, between 3-5.5 hours for sales associates. Pay is above minimum wage, but nothing too crazy. Good for high school and college if you can handle not getting a lot of hours. 50% off discount is good, and employee sales four times a year can get you up to 60% off. The culture is very family and group orientated, which is really nice.

Cons

No trust. Cameras babysit us everywhere we go and in addition to that our purses have to be checked constantly because they think we are going to steal. Also, they push selling techniques that oftentimes come on as pushy and anger customers. Corporate and upper management seems to be disorganized and a mess, but as a SA that doesn't affect me too much.

Advice to Management

Get organized, it will only better your life.

yankee candle

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Yankee Candle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get paids okay for not having to do much as a SALES ASSOCIATE. everyone (coworkers) are really nice for the most part but that may vary based on location. Flexible hours and good for highschool/college kids

Cons

the company treats you like you will steal things and is untrustworthy. Raises are terrible and every move is being watched by cameras in the back