There are newer employer reviews for Yard House

One of the best companies I've worked for as a waitress

Current Employee - Server  in  Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Server in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Yard House full-time for more than a year

Pros

They really emphasize helping each other when things get busy, so this fosters a cooperative team spirit among the employees. All of the servers like each other and seem to get along really well for the most part. The managers want to get involved right away if a guest is unhappy. At my previous job if a guest complained or things got busy they would say things like, "well we will take away your good shifts if you "can't handle it." But here they want you to ask for help, and they want to be involved with the guests when problems arise to keep the clientele happy. You won't get in trouble for most guest issues unless it is something really big.

Cons

Every time things get too busy and a guest complains you aren't being attentive enough, the managers will say "well you should have asked for help." So they will blame it on you regardless and not on the volume of business. Also, the front desk has a tendency to double seat you. It is very difficult to move up to other positions. It takes years to move up to a bartender, or for a foodrunner/expo/front desk person to move up to a server. They may say "you'll get promoted if you work hard" but expect to stay in the position you've been hired in. I know a server that worked there for 5 years that never moved up to a bartender position, and she quit to work as a bartender somewhere else. It is usually difficult to find a manager when you need help. They are "around" but you can never find them when you need them. They also don't like to be asked for help, so if you're busy and you ask them for help half the time they will say "did you ask another server first?" So they want you to ask for help or you'll get in trouble, but not from them because they don't want to be bothered. They also have a tendency to cut the floor in a bad way, so transitions are usually hectic, and a mess.

The clientele has really been going downhill lately. The automatic gratuity was also taken away, so now I'm getting 5% and 10% tips more frequently. It has nothing to do with my service, it is just people being cheap. It makes me not want to work there. I would suggest getting rid of some of the happy hours.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Yard House (View Most Recent)

Fun place to work.

I worked at Yard House

Pros

Long Beach was a busy location and it was a great place to make fast cash. Most of the management was fair and friendly.

Cons

I sometimes felt like I was walking on eggshells in the earlier years. I watched quite a few of my friends get fired for very minor things. If you could walk the line you'll be o.k., I heard its a little more lay back now.

Good place

I have been working at Yard House part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Money for the type of job

Cons

Bad management has its bad days then worse days

There are newer employer reviews for Yard House

Worked for Yard House? Contribute to the Community!