There are newer employer reviews for Year Up

Making a difference with vision and caring

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Year Up full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, great mission, work hard and never give up, makes a real difference in the lives of urban young adults, super bright and motivated co-workers, an exciting time to work at the organization as it was beginning to have a national impact. Valued each contribution - not a lot of hierarchy. Fair pay and excellent benefits - especially for a non-profit.

Cons

The organization did not always recognize the talent that existed within and looked to new hires when there were others who could have moved up and taken on the challenge and opportunity.

reviews filtered by

AmeriCorps

Former Employee - Resident/Volunteer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Resident/Volunteer in Boston, MA

I worked at Year Up

Pros

Brilliant leadership, talented staff and smart impact-oriented mission. Gerald Chertavian is an example of when the right things come together. He's both well educated and smart (they don't always go together) and he's created an organization with a contagious passion for a clear and consistent mission/vision: closing the opportunity divide in this country.

I can't get them out of my system and I've been gone a few years now. They invest heavily in the development of their employees who are, unsurprisingly, as committed as they come. The mission, vision and strategy is something that is effectively communicated on a regular basis. National expansion, short and long term fundraising and other needs, etc. are given appropriate attention and discussed openly and with surprising candor.

What they've accomplished in the few years since their start has been incredible. Early graduates of the program are returning to mentor current students, teach classes as adjunct professors of local colleges and as staff members of the growing organization.

My experience involved working with students as well as in a functional role doing process improvement and capacity building. I loved every aspect of it. I've had good work experiences before and since Year Up but non compare to the mix of great things the company offers it's students, employees and partners.

Check them out.

Cons

You'll be doing real work for an important cause which is great. However, the organization is more vision driven than mission driven. They fully intend for the work they do to have an exponentially increasing impact and to form an important part of an eventual "solution" to the problem. That means you'll be doing top notch work and being passionate about the cause is necessary but not going to cut it alone like in some non-profit organizations. Expect to work smart and hard and receive very regular and open feedback about your strengths and growth areas. This is not a place for people who have big hearts and small heads.

Advice to Management

Consider expanding the reach of your strategic partnerships, potentially extending and applying the model to different locations/professional areas/etc.

Amazing

Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Year Up

Pros

Very encouraging environment to work in. Hard work is needed to make it through each day. Be very driven to succeed.

Cons

Being a intern can be very challenging depending on the outside noise around you. Overall great experience. Must be prepared.