Yelp

www.yelp.com

If you're thinking of working here, don't.

Account Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Free food, young people, and good music
-Good benefits

Cons*This is a telemarketing position, not an Account Executive position. You are making 80+ phone calls, talking for 3.5-4 hours of actual talk time, setting 5+ appointments, and pitching 2-4 businesses a day. You're not doing anything else. This classifies as a telemarketer, I'm sorry! When someone leaves their job for this "opportunity" it should be made very clear. If you don't do the previously mentioned metrics then you are made to feel like a failure. Sometimes you just may be on the phone with a really good lead who might take longer to talk then others! It happens! Although there are some good managers here, most are poorly trained and this is their ONLY experience with ad sales for the most part. You read straight from a script and management doesn't like when you ask why you are being told to say something. They barge your calls and will tell you what to say even if it's not how you prefer to talk to someone. You feel like your job is very fragile here and fear you may be fired if you're having a bad week/month. In few months of employment here, I've witnessed about 5-10 people get fired or quit.

*Another thing that was bothersome was the lack of diversity here. With a New York office employing a lot of people, this shouldn't be an issue. They talk about the "culture" of Yelp all the time. This culture is a mixture if mostly white, young, hipsters. HR even made a few comments how we are a company of mostly young people so that's why the benefits are so good. Being in my mid to late 20s I should NOT feel like an old soul here! Why not add some diversity into this mix? It would only benefit the company to have different people with different life experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides the above mentioned, I agree with what everyone else is saying. There needs to be an evaluation on how territories are handled. Someone calling into a town where they lived is obviously going to succeed faster than someone who's from New York with a strong accent calling into the south. Management needs to be trained better and selected with more care. Every manager was different. Some were amazing while others were completely unhelpful and unprofessional at times.

It is a terrible place to work

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros: There are no pros to this place. Cons: Crazy place to work. No work/life balance. Advice to Senior Management: Treat people with respect and appreciation No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great Young Forward Moving Company, but Management doesn't know what they're doing.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great young, fun company. Lots of potential for growth with an upward moving… Cons: Territory assignment and quotas are a joke. Someone in BFE North Dakota is supposed to hit the same quota as someone with LA?! Makes no… Advice to Senior Management: There needs to be a new structure for quotas and territories. The top reps do well because they have great territories - stop saying that's… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Yelp.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!