There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

If you're thinking of working here, don't.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Free food, young people, and good music
-Good benefits

Cons

*This is a telemarketing position, not an Account Executive position. You are making 80+ phone calls, talking for 3.5-4 hours of actual talk time, setting 5+ appointments, and pitching 2-4 businesses a day. You're not doing anything else. This classifies as a telemarketer, I'm sorry! When someone leaves their job for this "opportunity" it should be made very clear. If you don't do the previously mentioned metrics then you are made to feel like a failure. Sometimes you just may be on the phone with a really good lead who might take longer to talk then others! It happens! Although there are some good managers here, most are poorly trained and this is their ONLY experience with ad sales for the most part. You read straight from a script and management doesn't like when you ask why you are being told to say something. They barge your calls and will tell you what to say even if it's not how you prefer to talk to someone. You feel like your job is very fragile here and fear you may be fired if you're having a bad week/month. In few months of employment here, I've witnessed about 5-10 people get fired or quit.

*Another thing that was bothersome was the lack of diversity here. With a New York office employing a lot of people, this shouldn't be an issue. They talk about the "culture" of Yelp all the time. This culture is a mixture if mostly white, young, hipsters. HR even made a few comments how we are a company of mostly young people so that's why the benefits are so good. Being in my mid to late 20s I should NOT feel like an old soul here! Why not add some diversity into this mix? It would only benefit the company to have different people with different life experiences.

Besides the above mentioned, I agree with what everyone else is saying. There needs to be an evaluation on how territories are handled. Someone calling into a town where they lived is obviously going to succeed faster than someone who's from New York with a strong accent calling into the south. Management needs to be trained better and selected with more care. Every manager was different. Some were amazing while others were completely unhelpful and unprofessional at times.

220 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

It is a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros to this place.

Cons

Crazy place to work. No work/life balance.

Treat people with respect and appreciation

Designing Your Own Fate

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Room For Growth, No Guessing On Next Promotion. Upper Management does care about employees. You are able to create your own schedule depending on your territory.

Cons

Cold calling businesses is not the greatest, all inside sales, compensation is a little low.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!