Yelp

www.yelp.com
  www.yelp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

I'm glad I started here but even happier that I got out

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work with some great people, I moved for this job and pretty much all of my friends are here. Free food and fun work environment. Casual dress is a huge plus. Flexibility in schedule and you don't feel like your micro-managed.

Cons

You also work with a lot of people who think they're still in HS or college. There are a ton of cliques. Don't get brainwashed and drink out of the Yelp kool-aid. I worked 60 hour work weeks without being compensated for it. They discourage working over-time but will look the other way because they know you have to. Work here for a year and get out. Everyone I know that quit or got fired was able to find a better job right away.

Territories matter and you know it. Award great reps but don't treat the ones who have been there for a while but are average like they don't matter. There is a high turn-over rate, it's natural to the industry, so respect the ones that are loyal and help them succeed.

264 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

Great entry level sales role

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

- Amazing product
    - Great people. I honestly look forward to coming to work to see my colleagues.
    - Great good training.
    - Fun perks like a snack kitchen, a gym subsidy, and team offsites. (AT&T Park?!)
    - You can make a ton of money on commission if you are good at the job.
    - All promotions are 100% merit based. If you do will, you will be promoted, if you don't, you won't. Simple and fair.
    - You are not expected or encouraged to work crazy hours. Everyone works hard all day from 8-5 but this job does not involve crazy hours.
    - Casual dress.

Cons

- It's a sales job that you have to try at to be good at. This is not a job you can just show up for and succeed with. You have to put in 100% every day. Cold calling isn't easy and it isn't for everyone.

Don't hesitate to fire sales managers who are underperforming. Cold calling small businesses is hard enough, having a checked out manager does nothing to help your reps.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young, good-looking crowd. Fully stocked kitchen. Casual dress attire.

Cons

They need to rename their title of "account executive" to "telemarketer." You aren't handling any accounts - all you do is call people nonstop all day! Territories completely matter. How am I going to sell advertising to a small Amish community in Pennsylvania versus someone who has Manhattan or Miami? Makes no sense. They are very strict with you having to be on the phones 3+ hours and making a certain number of appointments and pitches. It's ridiculous. They have a program that monitors how long you have been on the phones so even if its noon and you think you've been on the phones awhile, it could only turn out to be 40 mins in reality. Sales is tough and it's not for everyone, I suggest if you're just looking for a job DO NOT work here. If you're looking for a serious career in sales then do it. The nonstop cold calling, getting hung up on by rude people, being yelled at for not being on the phones more than 2 hours daily, is what ultimately made me quit. I haven't looked back and I'm much happier!

Managers have no experience in sales so why are they our managers? Stop saying your territory doesn't matter - it does. And stop telling people this is an account executive job! Once you sell these people their advertising you never speak to them again because someone else manages their account.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp