There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Immature work environment not very professional

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fun because of all the youngsters
beer on tap and happy hours

Cons

Many business owners do not like Yelp so it makes the job less enjoyable and Yelps best days are over from my personal standpoint

Low salary not worth it for this company and there is a reason why the more elite students from top tier schools are not working there. (princeton, harvard, etc)

managers are young kids 22-24 who have a lot of favoritism

if your not hitting metrics they tell you to work harder instead of understanding the problem

if you dont make 80 calls and 2+hours on the phone you are fired even when you are the top revenue earner in your class so you basically pitched and brought in revenue for the company and they dont care about it.

Company does not genuinely care about customers only making money for the business and get irritated when you dont close a deal or if customer has to think about it because they think you did something wrong because EVERY owner SHOULD WANT to do business with Yelp so they get shocked if someone says no.

Keep the turnover low. If someone is a revenue earner cut them slack if they only made 70 calls in one day as opposed to 80 but brought in 15k of revenue.

221 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

I'm glad I started here but even happier that I got out

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with some great people, I moved for this job and pretty much all of my friends are here. Free food and fun work environment. Casual dress is a huge plus. Flexibility in schedule and you don't feel like your micro-managed.

Cons

You also work with a lot of people who think they're still in HS or college. There are a ton of cliques. Don't get brainwashed and drink out of the Yelp kool-aid. I worked 60 hour work weeks without being compensated for it. They discourage working over-time but will look the other way because they know you have to. Work here for a year and get out. Everyone I know that quit or got fired was able to find a better job right away.

Territories matter and you know it. Award great reps but don't treat the ones who have been there for a while but are average like they don't matter. There is a high turn-over rate, it's natural to the industry, so respect the ones that are loyal and help them succeed.

Great entry level sales role

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

- Amazing product
    - Great people. I honestly look forward to coming to work to see my colleagues.
    - Great good training.
    - Fun perks like a snack kitchen, a gym subsidy, and team offsites. (AT&T Park?!)
    - You can make a ton of money on commission if you are good at the job.
    - All promotions are 100% merit based. If you do will, you will be promoted, if you don't, you won't. Simple and fair.
    - You are not expected or encouraged to work crazy hours. Everyone works hard all day from 8-5 but this job does not involve crazy hours.
    - Casual dress.

Cons

- It's a sales job that you have to try at to be good at. This is not a job you can just show up for and succeed with. You have to put in 100% every day. Cold calling isn't easy and it isn't for everyone.

Don't hesitate to fire sales managers who are underperforming. Cold calling small businesses is hard enough, having a checked out manager does nothing to help your reps.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!