There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Immature work environment not very professional

Former Contractor - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Former Contractor - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fun because of all the youngsters
beer on tap and happy hours

Cons

Many business owners do not like Yelp so it makes the job less enjoyable and Yelps best days are over from my personal standpoint

Low salary not worth it for this company and there is a reason why the more elite students from top tier schools are not working there. (princeton, harvard, etc)

managers are young kids 22-24 who have a lot of favoritism

if your not hitting metrics they tell you to work harder instead of understanding the problem

if you dont make 80 calls and 2+hours on the phone you are fired even when you are the top revenue earner in your class so you basically pitched and brought in revenue for the company and they dont care about it.

Company does not genuinely care about customers only making money for the business and get irritated when you dont close a deal or if customer has to think about it because they think you did something wrong because EVERY owner SHOULD WANT to do business with Yelp so they get shocked if someone says no.

Keep the turnover low. If someone is a revenue earner cut them slack if they only made 70 calls in one day as opposed to 80 but brought in 15k of revenue.

reviews filtered by

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young, good-looking crowd. Fully stocked kitchen. Casual dress attire.

Cons

They need to rename their title of "account executive" to "telemarketer." You aren't handling any accounts - all you do is call people nonstop all day! Territories completely matter. How am I going to sell advertising to a small Amish community in Pennsylvania versus someone who has Manhattan or Miami? Makes no sense. They are very strict with you having to be on the phones 3+ hours and making a certain number of appointments and pitches. It's ridiculous. They have a program that monitors how long you have been on the phones so even if its noon and you think you've been on the phones awhile, it could only turn out to be 40 mins in reality. Sales is tough and it's not for everyone, I suggest if you're just looking for a job DO NOT work here. If you're looking for a serious career in sales then do it. The nonstop cold calling, getting hung up on by rude people, being yelled at for not being on the phones more than 2 hours daily, is what ultimately made me quit. I haven't looked back and I'm much happier!

Managers have no experience in sales so why are they our managers? Stop saying your territory doesn't matter - it does. And stop telling people this is an account executive job! Once you sell these people their advertising you never speak to them again because someone else manages their account.

If you're thinking of working here, don't.

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Free food, young people, and good music
    -Good benefits

Cons

*This is a telemarketing position, not an Account Executive position. You are making 80+ phone calls, talking for 3.5-4 hours of actual talk time, setting 5+ appointments, and pitching 2-4 businesses a day. You're not doing anything else. This classifies as a telemarketer, I'm sorry! When someone leaves their job for this "opportunity" it should be made very clear. If you don't do the previously mentioned metrics then you are made to feel like a failure. Sometimes you just may be on the phone with a really good lead who might take longer to talk then others! It happens! Although there are some good managers here, most are poorly trained and this is their ONLY experience with ad sales for the most part. You read straight from a script and management doesn't like when you ask why you are being told to say something. They barge your calls and will tell you what to say even if it's not how you prefer to talk to someone. You feel like your job is very fragile here and fear you may be fired if you're having a bad week/month. In few months of employment here, I've witnessed about 5-10 people get fired or quit.

*Another thing that was bothersome was the lack of diversity here. With a New York office employing a lot of people, this shouldn't be an issue. They talk about the "culture" of Yelp all the time. This culture is a mixture if mostly white, young, hipsters. HR even made a few comments how we are a company of mostly young people so that's why the benefits are so good. Being in my mid to late 20s I should NOT feel like an old soul here! Why not add some diversity into this mix? It would only benefit the company to have different people with different life experiences.

Besides the above mentioned, I agree with what everyone else is saying. There needs to be an evaluation on how territories are handled. Someone calling into a town where they lived is obviously going to succeed faster than someone who's from New York with a strong accent calling into the south. Management needs to be trained better and selected with more care. Every manager was different. Some were amazing while others were completely unhelpful and unprofessional at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp