Yelp

www.yelp.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Great company for young sales reps

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The dynamic and culture of this company is outstanding for employees. A fun, fast paced environment with young, hard working people. Lots of off-site events, the offices are brand new and all are up to date with kitchens, ping pong etc.
If you are a new person in sales, this is an outstanding company to get some stripes on your shoulder and learn the basics of selling, hustle and closing deals.
The health benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Cold calling on small and medium sized businesses is tough, and the compensation isn't that great. Don't expect to make a ton of money here unless you are the top 5% in sales.
The claim is that there are tons of career opportunities, however 99% won't get above a mid level manager. If you continue on in sales, you could become a National Rep, but the transition is hard for most reps who don't have any agency experience and tend to fade out. Usually after about 2 years you'll have gotten your experience and can move on to another company for bigger $.

Pay the people!

307 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

Over-hyped work environment with under appreciated employees

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Kegs, table tennis, fooseball, loud music, frat house atmosphere (if that's your thing). It's a fun place to work and they do a lot of outings and things like that.

Cons

Shady sales managers that are young with little to no experience.
    Lots of drinking on site.
    Unclear professional goals.
    Run you ragged, burn you out, hire new employees.
    Call volume/metrics are more important than revenue (I can't figure that one out either, probably has more to do with poor managers).
    They have an extremely high turnover rate and will hire anybody off the street because they have an acceptable attrition rate. You are replaceable. I know I sound bitter, but I took the recruiters bait, hook line and sinker. I've lived in the area for a long time and I'm always running into people that have been employed there for a short period of time before either rage quitting or getting axed for no reason. They call you into a sales meeting and have your stuff boxed up and they escort you off the property according to a friend.

Hire some real middle management. Just because somebody sounds hot on the phone and can sling a mediocre product doesn't mean they can manage people.

Success at Yelp

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Yelp puts you in a position that allows you to achieve your career goals. I liken it to a vehicle that I get to drive anywhere that I want to go and the better that I get at driving this vehicle the further that I am able to go. You are given everything you need to become a top performer.

Cons

If change is something that you are not used to, then this may not be the place for you. Change is inevitable because we are growing so fast.

Pour into your new managers as much training as possible.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp