There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yelp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Fun office culture.
- Creativity is appreciated.
- Flexible hours.
- Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
- Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
- The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
- The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
- Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

225 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

Working at Yelp UK

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Great opportunities but not for everyone

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

A lof of enthusiastic, passionate people

Cons

Entry level sales position not necessarily the best environment if you're not going into sales

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!