There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Cool people, tedious and frustrating job

I worked at Yelp

Pros

flexible
office perks
young people and good environment

Cons

boiler room
tedious
limited room for growth

220 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

Rich get Richer, the Poor Stay Poor

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Benefits
    -Fun people (but don't get too attached as only 1/5th of my training class was left after more than 1 year
    -Cool company
    -Fun to be part of a startup
    -Free food & beer
    -Stock options made me some $ when I quit, but I don't know if they still give options given they are public now

Cons

*This is just for Acct Executive position, I'm sure it'd be awesome to be NOT in sales in this company*

-Your success depends on what territory you are randomly assigned in training, though they will try to convince you otherwise. When it comes time to switch territories, only those who succeeded in their first territories (i.e, southern cali) will get the even better territories, justified by "We want to give our best territories to our best reps" and you will be stuck in a countless cycle of shitty territories and constant fear of not hitting quota. I saw reps who were taken out of their golden territories for whatever reason and failed once in a normal territory. Someone who won "the bleeder" - top rep in the office for a month - got changed into a different territory and they were fired 2 months later for low performance - HA!

-Cold calling sucks, you will get yelled at, cursed at, hung up on, etc. Either that or business owners will use you as customer service and string you along and then you'll end up never hearing from them again/chasing them.

-Feeling of guilt after selling business owners advertising they do not really need

-If you sell a ton of packages and get commission for them, if that client cancels you get "chargebacks" and will end up owing the company money

-No variety in what you sell, it's the same pitch, same phone call, over and over and over again...hard selling and not consultative selling, so you feel like you are just out to get people's money no matter if you really believe the ad product will help their product or not.

-Have the same exact quota no matter where your territory is geographically - 20k quota for San Francisco, CA territory and 20k quota for a random county in Arkansas - fair? No.

- If you miss quota you will get put on a "performance plan" with 1-2 weeks notice that if you do not hit a certain number within that period of time you are fired.

-New classes of 30+ people are hired each month, and around that same amount are fired or quit.

- they say that they pay you salary, but that is a lie. They make you fill out a sheet each week that says how manY HOURS you worked for that week. If it says you worked more than 40 hours you will get in a lot of trouble as legally they will need to pay you overtime, so you either have to "ask for permission" from your manager to work more than 40 hours (which they will never agree to) or you have to lie on your worksheet, which every single person I knew did, because everyone works at least 45-50 hrs a week. Which means you are not getting paid for the hours you put in and forced to lie. PS if you think I am making this part up, just wait! :) On your paycheck it actually even has your "hourly rate. "

-VERY hard to move your career forward. You will always be a salesperson if you start in sales. Their "promotions" (Associate Acct Exec, Junior AE, AE, Senior AE, Elite) are all the exact same job, just your base salary increases a bit each time and at junior AE you start to be able to make commission. It is VERY hard to move into a different department. You can possibly be a manager at some point after hitting AE but that is very hard to do/competitive and you are still in sales.

- you will have to watch inexperienced, younger, less talented people you started orientation with or a rookie make tons of money right next to you if they are assigned a good territory, while you are stuck not even making commission on a 33k "salary". Not motivating at all, just makes you search for a new job.

-Less than half the office has been there for more than a year - there's a reason.

Get some better products and find a better way to assign territories so that it is FAIR and utilizes your employees to their maximum potential. This will reduce turnover rate drastically. Thanks!

Outstanding. Different than any other job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance. The management encourages employees to work hard and play hard. Everyone is passionate about seeing each other succeed and for the product they sell and support.

Cons

Being that it's still a relatively young company, "growing pains" are to be expected as more efficient work practices continue to evolve.

Keep doing what you are doing. Excited to be working with you all.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!