Great Opportunity to work

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The COO--Geoff Donaker is a very sharp guy. It's a great company, that serves a much needed area within the online space. Wonderful people from the ground up. If you get the opportunity, go for it!

Cons

If you aren't part of the solution....

Advice to Management

Hire great, talented people. J-Stopp, you should have taken the Google money, and moved on to business #3...

Other Employee Reviews for Yelp

Great Company, but...career growth is ?

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

young, fun culture. Great co-workers, and a progressive environment. They have a shuffleboard table, 60 a month toward a gym membership...and full medical benefits. However, to newbies, you need to work her for a 60 day window before you can get these.

Cons

Not a whole lot of room for growth. If you are a caller, job gets very repetitive. Once you are a caller for a year, you can move to a manager, but your pay moves laterally because you arent making as much in commissions. Sometimes you feel like a phone monkey because it is the same thing over and over...

Advice to Management

Make more diverse positions. I would like to able to move somewhere!

2. You would be extremely fortunate to work for Yelp.

Current Employee - Lead Generation - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Generation - Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Every morning I wake up feeling like I won the lottery to be working at this company - how did I come to this realization you might ask? When I found myself (on a Saturday night) at a bar with one of my coworkers, I realized that all we were talking about was work - What is new with you? What are you working on this month? Can you believe all of the changes that are going on right now? I stepped off to go to the bathroom, and I thought to myself, "wow...in this economy, how many people can actually say that they are excited with their career and they are excited about where their company is headed?" The fact is this: very few people are as lucky as I am. I can honestly say that I have learned something new every day that I have been here. Not only am I learning how to succeed in Sales, but I am learning how to be a better employee and coworker every day. When I look back at where I was before I started with this company, I realize that I won the lottery when I received my offer to work at Yelp.

Cons

Like many sales jobs out there, you are the strongest influencer in your success. You can wake up and decide that you are going to make more money this month than you ever have months before. That being said, it is very easy for your work life to take over your personal life. You find yourself wanting to be at work longer, because you want to make or receive that one phone call that will bring you to your goal, and ultimately affect your paycheck. One other thing - the people that work there are awesome. If you cannot discipline yourself to work your ass off, then you will not do well here because you will be utterly preoccupied with your coworkers (which ultimately end up being your best friends).

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. You are transparent with what goals need to be reached in order to be successful. Also, you have all done a wonderful job keeping morale high when the rest of the economy finds itself to be in such a negative place - Thank you.