Yelp

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp

Great Company, ok job

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Headquarter office is excellent and is right in the middle of beautiful San Francisco.
-Training is awesome, they really get you going from day 1. They throw tons of information at you but they make it easy to understand and learn.
-Maintain a great "startup" company culture.
-The other reps become your friends and the reason why the company culture is so great is because they have maintained the ability to hire great human beings.

Cons

New sales team managers lack experience in the role and reflects on the performances of the team members at times.

Calling system should be vertical based not territory based.

Territory distribution is not fair and allows some people to achieve success substantially easier than others.

The Job becomes a grind when the "new job shine" wears off and you are stuck making 70+ calls a day to many people who hate Yelp because it ruined their business in some way.

Make sure the people that are hired as managers actually want to be managers and can sustain a leadership role.

Make sure sales reps have the ability to create and implement their own style while practicing the founding principles of cold call sales and Yelp.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Yelp (View Most Recent)

Meh - it's been alright

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance
    decent benefits
    nice location

Cons

not a design focused company - a lot of the look is very web 1.0
    you really depend on stock earnings to make a livable income - especially for the bay area
    potential to become a great company is there

Focus more on things outside of engineering

There's a fine line between a "cool" environment, and a professional one, with no real individualized support.

Former Employee - Account Executive (Trainee) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive (Trainee) in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits., fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks. Exciting for young, inexperienced college grads who like beer served to them at their workspace, and going to happy hour every night.

Cons

Telesales with blaring music in the background, constant loud noise, to the point where prospects are asking you,"what is going on there??". Low base salary, no private work spaces. Super-micro-managed!

I was terminated after three weeks after coming off of a very successful outside sales career of 15+ yrs. in a Fortune 100 Company. There was no sales quota for the 1st month, but was a quote to "pitch" to 10 small business owners in some remote part of the country. Week 1 was mostly classroom training, and on weeks 2-4 of the 1st month we hit the phones. In week 2 I was put on "warning" because management didn't feel that I was "on-pace" to hit that quota, whereas, I had a number of scheduled phone "appointments" lined up. In week 3 of the 1st month they fired me, without even giving me the chance to finish up my 10 "pitches" with still over a full week until month-end!, which I easily could have accomplished - unfair, no-chance policy. Some training manager packed up my personal effects, and i was walked out of the door.

There are newer employer reviews for Yelp