There are newer employer reviews for York University

Decent

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at York University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at York University. The flexible schedule makes it convenient for you to work at your own hours; great supervisor and co-workers to push you to be better and inspire ideas; you can break down your hours between studying and working all on the same campus decreasing the need to spend extra hours on commuting.

Cons

York University has extremely expensive and inconvenient parking, especially now with the building of the subway the entire campus is in construction, and parking lot spots are prioritized to visitors of events taking place at York University such as the Rogers cup.

Please Prioritize parking for employees!! That would be great! Thanks!

reviews filtered by

Excellent Educational Institution To Work At

Current Contractor - Program Assistant
    Current Contractor - Program Assistant

I have been working at York University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Most York University positions offer higher than normal salaries and their benefits packages are great. Furthermore, if you are a full-time York employee, you have the option to take courses and even entire undergraduate degree programs at no cost. I have been at four different departments now in various administrative roles and I can confidently say that the people working here are genuinely nice people. They are always willing to help the new person learn and are very welcoming.

Cons

It is difficult to acquire a long term position. Since York pays higher salaries, the positions available are highly sought after. Thus, it becomes a very competitive environment when it comes to actually securing a position. Lastly, it seems that most of the hiring is done internally at York. This makes it very difficult for a person who is not currently a York employee to get in to any position.

Interim employees should be given the chance to take on the contract positions for which they are filling in. Although interim employees are only in the position for a short period of time, they learn the job only to be replaced by someone else who was hired internally and will have to learn the role.

2. It is ok but I hope it would be better.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at York University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most people I have worked with or contacted with are very friendly and helpful. Most faulty members in my department are open minded.

Cons

I don't like the bureaucracy. For example, I have to apply TA for the same course every year. It is just paper work, as there is no competition.

There are newer employer reviews for York University