Great work for students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North York, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North York, ON (Canada)

I worked at York University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are usually compatible with study, and the unions ensure that we're not overworked. The pay is reasonable for the work, and most of the people I worked with were very friendly.

Cons

Full time faculty seems stretched thin at times, and often one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Red tape can often slow things down considerably or make otherwise simple tasks impossible.

Advice to Management

The school is huge and still growing- it's important that there be enough faculty to handle this.

Other Employee Reviews for York University

1. Residence Life Staff - great way to do part-time work while in school!

I have been working at York University part-time

Pros

-Convenient location - living on campus and working there means no commute -Approachable upper management - managers and supervisors are easily approachable for both concerns or advice and help -Working in residence is a great way to meet lots of other students

Cons

-No real cons, is a really great job overall

Advice to Management

-Some of the activities proposed to do with residents are not very engaging and it is challenging to encourage participation

2. Great place for Work/Study students

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at York University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work in a student-friendly university environment that's culturally diverse. Great place to work if you're doing a Work/Study position. You gain professional experience in your major. The work/life balance is also good because employers know school comes first and work around your class schedule.

Cons

As writers, our team was promised our articles would be archived for future reference. Unfortunately, many of my articles that I worked very hard on were left unpublished and my older articles that were published on the blog were deleted. All that work for nothing!

Advice to Management

Keep your promises and don't delete your employees' work. We need them for our portfolio