Youth Villages

www.youthvillages.org
  www.youthvillages.org
There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

Although intense, the work is important and rewarding.

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The philosphy of the organization aligns with my personal philosphy that families and children should remain together. I believe in the mission and values, although the work is very intense and demanding, I feel it is necessary. The salary is competitive with other mental health providers in my area.

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, there is difficulty maintaining a work life balance. I have gotten used to being on call and there is a lot of support after hours when handling a crisis, but the on call can be overwhelming at first.

142 Other Employee Reviews for Youth Villages (View Most Recent)

The work our specialsits do is amazing!

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time

Pros

Great benefits; provides multiple career paths for those wishing to grow in the field; the majority of the senior managers have worked in direct care jobs and understand the complexity and challenges of the positions

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge

Find opportunities to engage with your employees; continue to look for ways to increase your employee's success; finds ways to help employees with time management to create work-life balance

Challenging, rewarding, and completely unmanageable.

Former Employee - Family Counselor in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Family Counselor in Asheville, NC

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Youth Villages is a stable company that follows the treatment models that they offer. As long as you can survive, there are many "battlefield" promotions you can have. Although the salary is not competitive or commiserate with the work you do, they offer good benefits and many trainings. There are some completely awesome people that work there and give so much to families and kids. The actual work with families was very rewarding and I became very close to many families.

Cons

There is this delusional "cheerleader" attitude among upper level management that is offensive to us in the trenches. Instead of helping us process difficult events, upper management would make comments like "I really want to focus on what went well" after hearing really traumatic events of crisis. Many times, I felt an ethical dilemma from forcing treatment onto people who did not want it. Many families wanted to actively pursue an out-of-home placement for their child, and management would force us to "sell" treatment because our census was low in our office and they were desperate for clients.

There were many huge pink elephants in the office like the dissatisfaction of the employees, which was never discussed by management. Instead, they hung out in each other's office laughing, while we were on the phones, typing notes, and trying to meet "units." Out of the six clinical staff in our office, five were looking for other jobs including myself. When I brought this to the attention of my direct supervisor, she seemed shocked and told me that she had no idea. Instead of addressing the low morale among employees, Youth Villages found another way to deal the with lost money for training workers. They force you to pay back all of your trainings-close to $1,000 if you leave before one year. No other people in community mental health I talked to had ever heard of such a practice.

Although they are upfront about the crises, paying back for the trainings, and nontraditional hours, they were misleading about the amount of support they would provide and the over 12 hour days we would be working.

Get support for your front-line people-hiring extra case managers or peer support specialists to balance the workload. Addressing morale among the employees is crucial. Upper management needs to work on recruiting local clients, so clinicians don't have to drive over an hour to see a family.

There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages