Youth Villages

www.youthvillages.org

Good PD, bad pay, manipulative

Pros

Good experience for young college grads to put on their resume. Good professional development. Definitely looks good on paper.

Cons

Low pay, little to no overtime pay depending on the position, they'll work you to death.

Pay your employees what they're worth.

Other reviews for Youth Villages

Family intervention specialist is hell

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist  in  Madison, IN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Madison, IN

Pros

Making a difference and building a relationship with families, youths, and community members.

Sometimes the flexible schedule works in your favor and you've got an afternoon or morning free.

Cons

You are literally never off. Even on the weekend when someone else is on call, the families will forget and call you. And when you're on call, you're expected to make calls and sometimes in person visits up to two hours away to check on families.

And seriously just forget about work/life boundaries. I missed a text message from a family because I was sleeping and got chewed out by my supervisor because I should have woken up for it. I had to go out at 11pm at night at least every week to check on a family and they were an hour away.

Stop working the front line staff to death.

Company needs to make major changes in their treatment of employees

Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Family Intervention Specialist in Memphis, TN

Pros

Amazing *stated* work mission and values (This is why I wanted to work for the company).
    Great relationships with coworkers and many opportunities to collaborate with other service providers.

Cons

Horrible at following through with mission and values. Work-life balance is non-existent and they blame you if you cannot make it better. Pay is minimal and raises are few and far between. Everyone is over worked and miserable, and these are your friends that you want to help but don't have time to help. Twelve hour days and no ability to get ahead even for the most organized person. The people that stick around tend to be ones that owe the company due to further pursuit in education or retirement savings. They immorally (decision has to be made in front of coworkers in effort to get jeans days) guilt you into giving a percentage of your already tiny salary back to the company. Success means a kid that did not get in trouble, not actual turn-arounds because you didn't have enough time with families to actually make these changes (three months max to make a long term impact with families who don't even want you around half the time). Parents are guilted into receiving your help by telling them a report to CPS will be made if they do not follow through with services.
    Also, I remember reading these reviews and thinking people were crazy and maybe they were the problem. I hope future readers do not make that same decision.

Overall this company has a great face but does not follow through with promises. I was thrilled to get a job there, felt guilty when I was stressed out, and finally realized it wasn't just me. They treat employees as a dime-a-dozen, you are simply replaceable if you aren't going to alter your life for the job. I am well educated, have been successful in previous jobs, but felt like a failure in this job. If they were honest about their job turn-over rates it would be statistically obvious they do not treat employees well.

There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages.

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!