There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

YV

I worked at Youth Villages (more than a year)

Pros

My experiences with Youth Villages have been extremely challenging both personally, professionally but also rewarding.
The daily interactions with working with children will keep you young.

Cons

The hours and schedule of ANY position can be extremely stressful. The sixteen hour shifts on the weekend can really burn you out.

Allow more breaks the job is very stressful.

reviews filtered by

Slaughterhouse (ChristieCare Oregon)

Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Behavioral Youth Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Youth Villages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Shared camaraderie with some of the staff, and the level of enthusiasm for the work is always there.

Cons

Company's turnover rate was nearly 90% with all but one other person who went through NEO the same time leaving. There were over 30 new employees just three months ago.

There isn't any strong policies to protect or prevent employees from harm. Employees who remain at the organization are REQUIRED by management to take on extra shifts when burnt-out employees leave. Personally I have worked more weeks with over 60 hours than most. This is a serious BOLI violation.

Employees are also required to spend all "break" and "lunch" times with clients. How is that a break? Honestly you're better off working in the food service industry, at least your physical safety is better off and so is your mental health. FYI pay is $10.50/hour.

Come down from your ivory towers and work a month in our severely underpaid, overworked shoes.

Run away from the Oregon Youth Villages as fast as you can!!

Current Employee - Counselor in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Counselor in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers will be some of the best people you will ever meet. Every job you have after working here will feel like you won the lottery.

Cons

Youth Villages treats staff like they are disposable. They will manipulate you, lie to you, intimidate you, pressure you into things. I am not sure they are too concerned with labor laws. There were times I would be mandated to work 19 hour shifts, be given 5 or so hours off, only to work another 16-19 hour shift. I was forced to work more than 70-75 hours a week EVERY WEEK. "The Force For Families" motto does cross over to employee families. Management actually told my coworker to leave her child home alone to work an extra shift. They force you to work 2 extra shifts a week, so you are pretty much working non stop. They treat night staff like sleep is a privilege. I have had some bad jobs before, but I have never had a job treat me as bad or have so little regard for me as a human being.

They give you benefits, but you work so many hours and make so little money, that will never have time or enough money to use them. I had to cancel ever visit to the doctor I made because I was always mandated to work last minute.

Forget about having a social life while you work here. Not gonna happen.

Treat staff like they make a difference and they will. Realize that staff do not choose to work in this field for easy money. We are all here to make a difference. We put our physical and emotional lives on the front end just by walking in the door. Treat your staff with a little dignity and respect and have some gratitude!

There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages