Youth Villages

www.youthvillages.org

Experience and Opportunity

Manager (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsExcellent Experience. If you are going to work in the mental health field, from early on, you will get excellent front line experience that will stick with you for the rest of your career. The challenges and difficulties of the job help foster a team envrinment where everyone works together to get the job done. Since Youth Villages is leading the way nationally in child welfare services and innovation, you have the opportunity to gain a unique perspective and get it on what is being nationally recognized as a leading model and organization. Simply the excellent name Youth Villages has built for itself can be an asset in your future career if you find yourself needing to change organizations. Its hard work, from top to bottom, the nature of the work is hard. However, Youth Villages will afford you the opportunity and experience to make the most out of it. As you progress in your career in or outside of Youth Villages, you won't be basing your career off a bunch of stuff you read in a book in some class. Rather, you will be basing it off first hand experiences that you get working at Youth Villages. The company often promotes from within, so advancement opportunities abound, particularly with its expansion to other states. I started Youth Villages 12 years ago having no idea or intention that I would stay as they were just the first people that offered me a job when i graduated college. But I made the most of it and have had an excellent career as a result. People's experience could vary, but all I can do is testify to my experience and many of thsoe around me.

ConsAgain, its hard work and anyone who tells you otherwise is not painting the full picture. But so much of that is simply the field in which Youth Villages operates. The time can be demanding and how well you handle it can very greatly based off your personal work style. The nature of the work means that its hard to drastically change things at any given moment, because its not as if you can send the kids elsewhere while you fix the problem. The kids are always in our care and it requires people who can adapt on the go and think outside the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep seekings ways to pour into staff's whole development. Leaders are often promoted young and dthey need the experience and support to learn as they go in the field of managing people. Youth Villages has a lots of programs to support this, but keep at it and keep innovating.

Wonderful Organization

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: I have worked for Youth Villages for over 10 years now and absolutely love it. I was 23 years old when I started working… Cons: Working with troubled children and families is not easy and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unsupportive and ungrateful. (Knoxville and Johnson City, TN)

Family Intervention Specialist and Transitional Living Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

I worked at Youth Villages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Honestly, I believe that there are only a few pros. First, they will hire almost anyone with a bachelor's degree in a social services field… Cons: There are several things wrong with this organization. First, I would tell various supervisors that a client would have maybe met for 30 minutes. The… Advice to Senior Management: Be supportive and notice the struggles your employees are going through. This is an organization that caters to mental health of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Youth Villages.

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!