There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

Influencing the Future

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor  in  Jackson, TN
Current Employee - Regional Supervisor in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have the opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of children and their families. We each work hard to foster positive changes as we believe everyone deserves a chance to have the best life possible. I appreciate the flexibility allowed to ensure my family is taken care of when challenges arise. I work with great group of people and appreciate the opportunities for advancement. It is simply rewarding every time a family is successful. It is the best feeling when a child is successful and is given a chance. This is what we do!

Cons

This job is simply not for everyone. There are a lot of requirements to ensure success. However, we do whatever it takes. We work hard but take time to play when we can to ensure we give our all to each and every child and family. The long hours can be taxing but the end results make it all worthwhile.

134 Other Employee Reviews for Youth Villages (View Most Recent)

Good experience with the youth, but the bottom line is manifestly apparent.

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking at a career in counseling or social work, the front line experience that you get with the youth is fantastic, and you can carry that with you for the rest of your career. Also, the kids can be pretty great sometimes.

Cons

The bottom line - $$$ - is incredibly apparent working with this company. Even a little bit more money invested in the kids and the staff who work with them, rather than in promoting the image of the company, could go such a long way. For instance, putting money into actually nutritious food or fully functioning fitness or rec equipment, rather than a whole new fleet of vans. Or hiring adequate staff to allow for the best care for the kids. And then because staffing is so poor, staff are expected to work overtime, made to feel guilty for using the little bit of vacation time they get, and burn out incredibly quickly. This, combined with the minimal effort put into training staff, can often lead to dangerous, though avoidable situations. The money is there, it is just not used the right way. And finally, the cronyism in this company leads to terribly unqualified people making it into management positions at an alarming rate.

Invest some more money and time in hiring and training staff. These are the people with whom the youth spend the majority of their time, and you will get better results with the kids, and happier staff with better retention if you bring some time and attention to the front lines.

Long Hours, Hard Work, Rewarding Experience

Current Employee - No Comment However I Was In Leadership
    Current Employee - No Comment However I Was In Leadership

I have been working at Youth Villages full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you are looking to make a difference, then this is your place. However you will work 50 plus hours per week, come home late, document for hours, and do it all over again the next day. No matter what program you work in, they are very demanding, however thier methodology proves to work, and make differences in children and families lives.

Cons

If you are not a worker, and want something in order to support your hobby or family life, don't do it. They will literally drive you to quit. Find a 40 hour a week job working in another agency. They will promote quickly if you show a work ethic that can keep up with demand. If you would rather spend time at home or traveling, then find another career choice. However if you want to make a difference, move up in social services, learn from the best in the business...this is for you. Once you let them down though...even once...you will be passed on promotion, and given the red badge. So work hard, say yes sit, and work the system, and you will go places.

Have more pateince, learn that leadership is being a servant as well as a teacher. Question the authority above you. The YV way is not the only way.

There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

Worked for Youth Villages? Contribute to the Community!