There are newer employer reviews for Youth Villages

Youth Villages is as awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Family Specialist in Cookeville, TN
Current Employee - Family Specialist in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Youth villages provides support and training necessary for the job. We do what we say we do and love it!

Cons

You don't have a lot of time for yourself at certian times, but thre is also flexibility available to staff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Leadership by example, what a concept! Thanks for your supoort and for caring for kids.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The organization is great. Individual offices vary in the area of competence.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Youth Villages

Pros

Programs are effective. Organizational leadership is top notch. The organization is very active in the community. The organization keeps up with latest software advances.

Cons

Leadership in states other than Tn. may be lacking. Most employees have little work experience. The work is very demanding and the documentation can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

We expect our families to be proactive-let's practice what we preach. Decisions seem to be made on the fly with very little prepartion.

Stay for a year...but then move on.

Former Employee - Senior In Home Counselor in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Senior In Home Counselor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Youth Villages

Pros

I personally enjoyed the amount of knowledge I gained from working with this company. I was able to learn how to document well, handle crisis situatons, and discuss goals I had for the future in the company. This is also one of the rare companies that one could meet the CEO almost twice a year and he praises his employees for their hard work and dedication for children and their families.

Cons

This company has a difficult time offering consistent support for employees due to everyone being overwhelmed by paperwork and case loads. The company is not ideal for anyone that's married or in a serious relationship because the company judges their success with families by how little they use the law enforcement or have disruptions, so they do not allow counselors to call the police to assist in crisis situations (ie a client that has runaway from home, become physically aggressive with family, or is homicidal or suicidal). Due to this, counselors are often called by families to unsafe enviornments in the middle of the night with not much support. The company has many redundant meetings (around 6 hours a week to be exact) and it hinders the counselors from doing their jobs effectively. The promotions in the company do not correlate with your education or experience because someone with a Masters degree and much experience can be supervised by someone with a Bachelor degree just because they have been with the company longer. The company will usually only place 4 clients at a time on a counselor during their first year, but will increase their work load significantly after they have been there over a year; however overtme is not given because it has to be requested ahead of time, but you do not know when a crisis will happen, so you can never get it approved ahead of time!

Advice to Management

The southeast office does not utilize their secretary to help decrease the counselor's paperwork load. The secretary can print treatment plans, cycle times, audit charts during down time, and help organize opening paperwork. Also, other similar companies in the area eliminate counselor meeting and use the group meeting (as an office, not teams) to review cases. This would be helpful for counselors to get back into the field sooner and more often. Also, writing treatment plans for the quarter instead of each week would be helpful. Counselor's rush treatment to meet interventions because of pressure from management. Most effective interventions cannot be completed in one week because it is not enough time, but giving counselors a quarter to complete the interventions helps them slow down and focus on the issues at hand.