Z Gallerie

There are newer employer reviews for Z Gallerie

Fantastic place to work for first 3-6 months

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Associate Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Z Gallerie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Different tasks everyday within job description
Learn alot of new things
Decent pay for management
Great retail experience

Cons

Sometimes job gets a little monotonous
Not a whole lot of room for advancement
Hard POS sales system to learn for newbies and takes a bout 2 months to truly master

Work on getting furniture delivered in one piece, start offering commission for sales

53 Other Employee Reviews for Z Gallerie (View Most Recent)

HIGH PRESSURE + LOW WAGES + POOR MANAGEMENT = GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

~ Interesting merchandise
    ~ Employee discount

Cons

With over 10 years of retail experience, I was shocked at the way this store was run.

Although, it's family-owned (beginning as a humble poster shop in the 70s by three siblings) it's one of the most rigid and exploitative corporate environments I have ever worked in.

They demand that you meet daily sales quotas (without providing a commission incentive). The manager mentioned some vague bonus that I never saw anyone receive.

Workers are restricted to wearing a limited color palette (white, beige, brown, black).
    No prints.

Before being hired, they check your people-skills by stationing you at the entrance for approximately 30 minutes. The store manager stays in the back of the store, and if she can hear you welcoming customers, you've passed the greeter-test and are on your way to getting hired.

After that initial step, you fill-out a massive amount of documents and liability releases that consume half of the day. Once you've passed a basic background check, you're "thrown to the wolves" (the manager's words, not mine).

So out on the sales floor you go, untrained.

I'm computer savvy and a quick study, but it was very stressful having to constantly interrupt
    my associates and/or the manager (when she was available) to ask for help. And what type of a message does that convey to customers?

People are always complaining about the lack of service. As the old saying goes, "A fish rots from the head down." It is the responsibility of management to train their staff, so they can properly service their clientèle.

The cumbersome POS technology was a big problem. The user-unfriendly system drastically slowed down every transaction and many salespeople lost credit for their sales because the cash register is programmed to automatically default sales to the store.

Unless salespeople remember to take the additional time to manually delete the store number and replace it with their own employee number, they lose the sale. Is that how corporate avoids paying bonuses?

Most customers complain about the inability to return sales items, and I noticed that the Z marks-down nearly everything (seemingly to avoid returns).

Other problems that customers call on is furniture arriving damaged and they become livid when the customer service center does not resolve issues in a timely manner.

Everything is sent via Fed-Ex; no other less expensive options are provided.

Unfortunately, the store had a nearly paranoid vibe about meeting upper-management's quotas which creates a great deal of tension and hostile competition on the sales floor.

Penny wise and pound foolish: I was admonished for wrapping several fragile and very expensive crystal perfume bottles in bubble-wrap because I was told, "The cost of those materials are deducted from the store's bottom-line." I was then instructed to use stiff (cheap) butcher-block paper (completely inappropriate).

One last consideration: Truck-Delivery-Thursdays are rough.

Salespeople are expected to unload big heavy boxes which is a painstaking task. If you're
    not a physically fit individual with strength and endurance to spare, I would advise seeking another work option. Most retailers do not demand this level of hard labor from salespersons; it wiped me out and I refused to return.

Train the staff, delegate properly, use proper wrapping materials to protect items from damage, and upgrade the POS system.

Lowered my hours to make me quit

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Z Gallerie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively flexible regarding my school schedule. Initial management was positive and inspiring to be good at your job.

Cons

The environment eventually became hostile due to the nature of sales. Pay was very poor for sales associates, and bonuses based on sales were a complete joke. Eventually the management became a mess and they couldn't keep a single person. People with no management skills were getting promoted only because they "wanted" the position. District manager only cared about numbers, sure, that's her job, but she didn't care at all for sales associates unless they were the top performers. Management overlooked all the hard work that people did aside from selling.

Overall, the store was full of too much drama and gossip. This specific location had the privilege of working with the buying office so things were constantly being done and re-done and the merchandisers seemed to have more control and say over the actual management. I lost respect for them because none of them ever appreciated what you did for them and were too uptight and fake for my taste.

There are newer employer reviews for Z Gallerie