merchandise planner

Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Irving, TX

Pros

there is great opportunity for advancement. since the turnover is pretty high, there are opportunities to advance even in this bad economy, in the midst of layoffs.

Cons

management in the merchandising offices can be quite disorganized and direction changes constantly. we have had two rounds of layoffs since the beginning of 2008.

Advice to Management

use the portions of the company that are working profitably as a model for organizational changes. it seems as though we keep reorganizing without seeing benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for Zales

1. Fun sales job if you don't need the job to survive and ... I'll leave it at that

Current Employee - Jewlery Consultant in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Jewlery Consultant in Garland, TX

Pros

It's fun to sell jewelry due to the fact that most people that are shopping for jewelry are in a good mood. They may be in love and shopping for their engagement/wedding rings or buying a gift for someone that they think enough of to stop into a jewelry to shop for. The customers that are shopping for themselves are "celebrateing me" and are usually very injoyable as well.

Cons

They don't pay squat. They are also very into writing you up. Even in today's economy, you are written up if you don't get a credit application a day. I can understand not making your sales goal but give me a break, have you seen the interest rate on a Zale's card?

Advice to Management

Buy better quality, as far a gold. Many people can't wear anything other than 14k and a lot people won't shell out for anything other than 14k &up

2. Zales is a great company if you can handle change.

Former Employee - Manager in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Syracuse, NY

Pros

If you have a good regional manager, anything is possible. I was given 8,000 per year in raises plus increased bonuses within2 years of working for the company. I was able to compensate my best employees well. Managers are allowed to give their associates a lot more in terms of commission (if the associate sells enough) and other laid back work atmosphere stuff.

Cons

The company can be wishy washy and change things constantly leading to busywork and confusion

Advice to Management

Invest more in training on diamonds and increase your diamonds sales. You have the best diamond prices in the industry, hands down.