There are newer employer reviews for Zayo

Humbling and Rewarding Experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO
Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Zayo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- At Zayo you're working with some of the smartest folks in the industry. Seriously, I can't stress it enough, you're working with some very sharp individuals at Zayo. You're surround by MBAs and industry veterans at Zayo.
- The ability to telecommute is fantastic. Makes it easy to handle car problems, stay home with a sick child, etc...I think this is a huge bonus and shows that Zayo trusts and empowers its employees.
- Very little micro management. Its a gift and a curse but I like that I don't have someone looking over my shoulder. As long as you get your work done you're fine, but trust me they'll know if you're getting your work done.
- The hours are long, but with the ability to telecommute you can be flexible in your hours. So work the standard 8-5, grab dinner with your family, and then wrap up anything left over from the day for a few hours. I know no one "wants" to work long hours, but you get out what you put in and if you're creative and great at time management you can make the hours work.
- 15 days off to start. Not the best, but also far from the worst.

Cons

- Very little training. Although this wasn't a huge concern for me I can see how this can be a concern for others. But I think this does afford you the opportunity to learn things in the style that best suits your needs and this also allows you to show case your problem solving and critical thinking skills. Because there's no set "process" you can tweak the process and add new life into something that may be outdated.
- Limited seating, monitors, phones, etc...
- Sometimes the communication between product groups is mind-boggling. Working with your counterparts in other groups can be a lot like pulling teeth. I think it depends on the individual, but sometimes folks forget that we're all on the same team!
- More accountability on the supporting teams and not just the project managers.

- More incentive or better compensation for those looking to further their education. With so many MBAs within Zayo I would say the feeling is that higher learning is encouraged however the tuition reimbursement plan doesn't support this. The current reimbursement plan is not much and will barely cover a couple credits at your local college.

Zayo Response

Jul 25, 2013CEO

Thanks for the review. I agree product groups will need to find their way to be more synchronized with one another. This won't be mandated, but it will be encouraged. For a product group to ... More

reviews filtered by

Solid Company with Challenging Work Environment

I have been working at Zayo full-time

Pros

Hardworking group of people with "can do" attitude. Financially sound, growing company. Expectations of employees are high, and the rewards can potentially be significant.
    Fast-paced environment with lots of opportunity to excel. Management generally does a good job acknowledging individual contributions.

Cons

Challenging work/life balance. My life outside of work has definitely suffered, and I am not alone in this sentiment. Management has acknowledged this is an issue, but there are miles to go before some semblance of balance is realized. The culture of "more, more, more, now, now, now" makes this difficult.

Company likes to espouse an "open door policy", but it is clear that Senior Management is afraid to express opinions that are contrary to those of the CEO.

There is little doubt the CEO has helped lead Zayo down a positive path, but that does not mean the CEO is infallible. He should spend more time listening to his reports. The most effective leaders surround themselves with excellent people (which Zayo has), and listen to what they have to say. No one person has all the right answers. Listen... do not berate/belittle.

Zayo Response

Jul 25, 2013CEO

I agree I'm not infallible. Insecurity drives many leaders, and I put myself in this class. I know I've made big mistakes in my career. I feel fortunate for having second chances. I believe my ... More

Great flexibility, but not enough overal focus on employees

I have been working at Zayo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Zayo offers great flexibility to employees, the biggest being the opportunity to work from home
    -Executive management tries to be as transparent as possible
    -Most executives make themselves accessible to employees and openly share their thoughts
    -Quarterly bonuses

Cons

-no 401k matching and no annual performance raises and raises in general are rarely given
    -lack of effort to keep good employees from leaving, general attitude seems to be we can always replace those good people who leave with new folks and probably at lower salaries
    -long hours are the expectation and the norm
    -too much focus on quantitative data. Quantitative data is important but there are also qualitative ways to measure employees
    -not enough focus on processes, everyone is too busy to spend enough time fixing and tweaking processes. Processes are also at times changed too often

Make those people who do not work out of Colorado feel important as well. Most of the fun events, training, and opportunities to grow within the company are at headquarters.
    All hands meetings should be more positive and motivational. Too much focus on why people may not be the right fit for Zayo.
    Continue to hire people, so managers can have time to be managers and less time being worker bees and hire more people in departments where they are short staffed.

There are newer employer reviews for Zayo