Historically Solid Wall Street Performer; Market Leader; Technically Challenging Products; Abundant Opportunities

Current Employee - New Product Development Manager  in  Vernon Hills, IL
Current Employee - New Product Development Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My tenure at Zebra has been exclusively in New Product Engineering and Development at our Vernon Hills, IL facility.

What I admire most about Zebra is that it remains a company where, despite its medium-large company size, an enterprising associate can make his or her mark and receive the individual recognition they deserve. Even our co-op students and interns have visibility up through the VP level! (Prior to joining Zebra, I worked at two very large defense companies and never even saw our divisional heads.) Innovation at every level is strongly encouraged, and given the acceleration in “The Internet of Things”, Zebra is uniquely well-positioned for continued future growth.

Cons

In past years I might have commented that Zebra’s senior executive team tended to be too conservative. (To use a basketball analogy, they didn’t take many three point shots.) The past couple of years, however, there has been a noticeable change in attitude, led by our CEO Anders Gustafsson. The technology areas in which Zebra now plays are growing exponentially, and our senior staff recognizes that we need to take more calculated risks in response to our customer’s rapidly changing needs.

The Zebra culture is not for everyone. As is mentioned elsewhere by other Glassdoor reviewers, Zebra maintains a “small company feel” – and I wholeheartedly agree with that. However, my take on “small company feel” is that self-starters who take personal pride and responsibility for their individual contributions and are comfortable (and even enjoy) the ambiguity of challenging work – they will thrive in this culture. People who are easily discouraged in the face of obstacles and require specific, literal, directives of their managers - these associates will not be as successful...

Keep going strong on the innovation push! Continue to encourage and reward risk-taking. Engage more cross-organizational teams in understanding our customer’s many challenges in the face of a rapidly changing technological landscape.

Other Reviews for Zebra Technologies

Great company with a promising future

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time

Pros

You are a name and a face rather than a name and a number. Coming from a much larger corporation, this is a breath of fresh air. The majority of people at Zebra are passionate about their job and have a great sense of pride in the company. The work life balance is fantastic relative to other larger corporations. There are good advancement opportunities for individuals that provide results and are willing to think outside of the box. The company produces superior products and has a strong foothold on the marketplace. Great benefits and a very competitive salary structure for the industry.

Cons

Direction and communication from executive management throughout all employment ranks could and should be improved. A lot of emphasis on cost cutting is driven by cutting headcount rather than trimming and limiting unnecessary expenditures.

Hold all levels of management accountable for their results, including executive management, which should help drive a tone from the top that is desperately missing. You cannot expect your employees to do the right thing if their superiors do not. Explore other ways to cut costs within the company. Keep innovating to stay ahead of the competition.

Great Company That Has Provided Great Professional Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Zebra Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started working for Zebra six years ago and the company has provided me with tons of opportunities to professionally develop. I love my peers and genuinely feel my work is valued.

Zebra offers many strengths including strong leadership team, global footprint, market leadership, and solid financials.

Cons

Some areas of the company are lean and could use additional resources (headcount specifically)

There are newer employer reviews for Zebra Technologies.

Worked for Zebra Technologies? Contribute to the Community!