Zellers

www.zellers.com
  www.zellers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Zellers

Working here has shown me a new level of just how uncaring employers can be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Catharines, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Zellers

Pros

There aren't alot of pros. I enjoy the people I work with but that's it. My particular supervisor is understanding but the senior staff seems to really not care about it's employees.

Cons

Discounts are now being taken away, if you want your discount you must use a hbc credit card. Seniority is not based on how long you've worked there but your availability. I told them I wasn't able to work Sundays due to no babysitting available for my kids and was told that my seniority would slip below those employees that just started. Their sick policy stinks. Apparently you are only allowed to be sick 3 times a year. After 10 you get a letter which is standard but after that letter I was away for 2 days and got a 2 written warning. During which time i was working with a fractured collarbone.

Perhaps truly caring about your employees would be a start. There is more to business than credit blends and how many credit referrals you receive. By making your employees feel like they don't matter, eventually, you will be filling out those referrals yourselves, and wondering where all the staff went.

93 Other Employee Reviews for Zellers (View Most Recent)

Not much Gain

Former Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate

I worked at Zellers

Pros

It was easy to get in and the co workers are nice. They hire students as I had some co workers who were 15 years old.

Cons

The management team wasn't that nice and didn't help out as much as I'd like. They sometimes put too little people on the floor and it does get really busy sometimes

I think you need to hire people and put them on the floor. It was really low of staff when I worked there.

Zellers - not close to the best

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Zellers

Pros

There are friendly people working there. That seems to be the only pro I can think of. If you're looking to be something as simple as a cashier they'll offer you all the hours in the world, because they need those. It's easy to get a job there.

Cons

There's really no room for improvement. It isn't managed as well as it could be. People were promised positions they never got. They seem to randomly take away your hours when they're "done" with you after the busy season. Days can seem very long. There is a lot of stress involved in dealing with angry customers. Pay isn't anything special as well.

During orientation when you promise an employee a position, make sure you actually give it to them rather than using them to plug holes elsewhere until they forget about it. Encourage more positive reinforcement between supervisors/managers and regular employees. Offer more incentive to want to be part of that workplace that can be very busy and stressful and doesn't seem to offer much upside other than the fact that it might be easy to get the job.

As for the store itself, there are a lot of times where it seems like it isn't sure what kind of store it wants to be. If you're going to run a discount store than do that, if not then don't. There seems to be no identity like places like Walmart have.

There are newer employer reviews for Zellers