There are newer employer reviews for Zen Internet

An inspiring career move, where you look forward to going to work.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet

Pros

Zen is on a par with a good London based employer. Job wise it successfully offers the three essential ingredients - autonomy, complexity and a strong correlation between effort and reward. Socio-culturally it's Manchester's own Google-plex. Free Drinks and health foods, massages, an active social and charities committee and a responsible caring vibe that fills the campus. To a person, Zen staff members are respectful, polite and helpful to each other and to customers. Zen encourages you to be the best that you can be. An awesome find.

Cons

Some have a problem with the adjacent locality, being downmarket, but I commute daily and I have no problem with Rochdale. If you smile and say hey to people on the street then guess what? They smile right back. Better to focus on what binds us than what sets us apart.

I have no advice for management. Most entrants on GlassDoor tend to be complaining. After all, it's very much the British way to speak up only when things go wrong. But here I am breaking the trend. Zen appears self aware and confident in it's own direction. Amen to that.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Zen Internet (View Most Recent)

Trying to be a big company and not really succeeding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet

Pros

There is a very relaxed atmosphere if you're in the right department in Zen. If you are than you can pretty much sit round doing nothing and get away with it.

If you can stand working there for a year then they'll never fire you unless you really screw up badly.

Most of the people there are nice people.

Cons

Pay is average for Manchester but because the company is based in Rochdale management thinks it's really high.

Most days are spent in pointless meetings meaning very little actual works get done.

The office is in Rochdale, which is basically a slum. Most people live elsewhere and complain about the amount of time they have to commute. There have been cases of people getting beaten up just down the road from the office.

There is little training - "I learned everything from a book so you can too". On top of that they use nothing but trailing edge technology. This isn't the place to boost your CV.

The answer to "becoming a big company" has been to get more levels of management which has slowed the company to a crawl.

If you're in the wrong department then you're pretty much guaranteed to have a bad time.

Accept the company isn't large, shift down a gear and concentrate on what the company does well.
    Focus on getting one produce to the point where it's the best available (like things were with DSL) rather than trying to do too many things at once. The people on the phones are the public face of the company and should be looked after.

Zen Internet - a leader or a follower?

Former Employee - Fault Management Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fault Management Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet

Pros

Environment and people at work who made it a worthwhile experience. The relaxed atmosphere promoted a friendly culture and a fun place to work at.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for training or professional growth due to constant staff shortages, with perhaps one of the highest staff turn-over rates in the industry.

Give the front-line staff more credit, more recognition and the freedom to make informed decisions in line with the company's ethos. Take away the un-needed red-tape that exists within such a young company.

There are newer employer reviews for Zen Internet