There are newer employer reviews for Zen Internet

A small company that has gotten fat

Current Employee - Anonymous Ex-Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Ex-Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, some great people work here Relaxed attitude A customer base that believe the hype and that the service is top notch Free fruit, orange and massages (in theory; good luck getting any of those as they go quickly) Foosball table Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Little opportunity to move from set roles Minimal approach to learning and development Very backwards looking management Long term staff do very little; bare minimum required to keep jobs Very much a "pass the parcel" approach to problems. It's always someone else's fault. Very much a "boys club" Rochdale is not a nice place to visit; cars get broken into Reliant on third party to provide services

Advice to Management

Cut back staff numbers and accept that the firm will never be huge. Do something about the "not my fault" culture.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. An inspiring career move, where you look forward to going to work.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

I have been working at Zen Internet

Pros

Zen is on a par with a good London based employer. Job wise it successfully offers the three essential ingredients - autonomy, complexity and a strong correlation between effort and reward. Socio-culturally it's Manchester's own Google-plex. Free Drinks and health foods, massages, an active social and charities committee and a responsible caring vibe that fills the campus. To a person, Zen staff members are respectful, polite and helpful to each other and to customers. Zen encourages you to be the best that you can be. An awesome find.

Cons

Some have a problem with the adjacent locality, being downmarket, but I commute daily and I have no problem with Rochdale. If you smile and say hey to people on the street then guess what? They smile right back. Better to focus on what binds us than what sets us apart.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. Most entrants on GlassDoor tend to be complaining. After all, it's very much the British way to speak up only when things go wrong. But here I am breaking the trend. Zen appears self aware and confident in it's own direction. Amen to that.

Trying to be a big company and not really succeeding.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet

Pros

There is a very relaxed atmosphere if you're in the right department in Zen. If you are than you can pretty much sit round doing nothing and get away with it. If you can stand working there for a year then they'll never fire you unless you really screw up badly. Most of the people there are nice people.

Cons

Pay is average for Manchester but because the company is based in Rochdale management thinks it's really high. Most days are spent in pointless meetings meaning very little actual works get done. The office is in Rochdale, which is basically a slum. Most people live elsewhere and complain about the amount of time they have to commute. There have been cases of people getting beaten up just down the road from the office. There is little training - "I learned everything from a book so you can too". On top of that they use nothing but trailing edge technology. This isn't the place to boost your CV. The answer to "becoming a big company" has been to get more levels of management which has slowed the company to a crawl. If you're in the wrong department then you're pretty much guaranteed to have a bad time.

Advice to Management

Accept the company isn't large, shift down a gear and concentrate on what the company does well. Focus on getting one produce to the point where it's the best available (like things were with DSL) rather than trying to do too many things at once. The people on the phones are the public face of the company and should be looked after.