There are newer employer reviews for Zen Internet

Zen Internet - a leader or a follower?

Former Employee - Fault Management Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)
Former Employee - Fault Management Consultant in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet

Pros

Environment and people at work who made it a worthwhile experience. The relaxed atmosphere promoted a friendly culture and a fun place to work at.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for training or professional growth due to constant staff shortages, with perhaps one of the highest staff turn-over rates in the industry.

Give the front-line staff more credit, more recognition and the freedom to make informed decisions in line with the company's ethos. Take away the un-needed red-tape that exists within such a young company.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Zen Internet (View Most Recent)

Terrific atmosphere but a little too laid back

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time

Pros

The atmosphere at Zen is incredibly laid back, which comes down from the owner. There's a lack of careerists at the company (see cons) which means there's a lack of cut-throat ambition which can be destructive. People genuinely believe in the service offered to customers and want to improve it.

Cons

The laid back atmosphere does unfortunately promote a lack of ambition both for individuals and the company. If you're looking to further your career Zen is a waste of time. There is a glass ceiling to senior management, most of whom have been in their positions since the early days of the company. If you're starting off your career or looking for something less stressful I cannot recommend it enough. Pay at the entry-level is very good but poor at mid-level.

Drive your staff a little harder. You won't lose them and the company will achieve more.

Poor treatment of new staff

Former Employee - Desk Based Account Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Desk Based Account Manager in Rochdale, England (UK)

I worked at Zen Internet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere.
    Safe job if you don't mind staying in your current role.
    Free fruit and coffee.
    If it's broadband you want you won't find a friendlier more helpful company.

Cons

I worked at Zen from January 2012 to June 2014. I am a very experienced professional in my field but at Zen there is a culture of giving 'jobs to the boys' so that if you have been with the company over 5 years you will get the pick of the jobs, experience and skills irrelevant. If you are new (less than 5 years) chances are you'll never get out of the position you are currently in. Product Managers and senior management refuse to take advice unless you are part of the 'click' or have been there years.

Extremely two-faced management and unfortunate lack of vision.

I don't wish to knock Zen too much as I believe that they believe the culture is cool and laid back and happy. There is a strong sub-text and a lot of people I spoke to shared my feelings but didn't have the options I had in finding another job very quickly as soon as I decided Zen was not for me.

I joined because I assumed Zen would be a great place to work and progress for the remaining 10-15 years I have before I retired. I was wrong.

Listen to your staff - especially new staff. If they have skills that are of value don't ignore them or pas them over.

There are newer employer reviews for Zen Internet