There are newer employer reviews for Zendesk

a dream job at a dream company

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

40-something founders and management team means that they've been there before and have a level of maturity and focus that is rare in startups. CEO cares so deeply about customers, community and employees as opposed to his own ego or riches. Laughter and joy are the most common emotions expressed.

Customers LOVE LOVE LOVE Zendesk, even if our product (and people) aren't perfect. When a customer tells us they are leaving for a competitor, we actually help them do it, and treat them with respect and care on their way out. And they often come back when they realize they'be been duped.

Nobody in the company is satisfied with any aspect of the product, company, design or culture. This gives us all a sense of "kaizen" (continuous improvement) which is very healthy. Plus the Zen thing is more than a fat Buddha on the website, it's weirdly (and appropriately) weaved throughout our culture.

And I get to say curse words all the time and people don't get uncomfortable. The "old timers" who were there at the beginning are very welcoming of newer people which is rare.

I could go on and on....

Cons

Just typical fast-growing startup stuff. Growing fast has meant some mediocre hires in key roles which can breed more mediocrity. Sales/marketing culture may over-power original product/engineering/support culture, which is fine, but needs to be effectively managed. Amazing contributors (and there are many) need to realize they are amazing and not feel somehow marginalized.

Don't mess it up by going too fast.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Zendesk (View Most Recent)

Diamond in the rough.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very easy going company culture. Very family oriented, values hard work, but does not keep it's employees at their desks for 12+ hours.

They promote growth within the company. You are not stuck in one position -- if you have excellent performance and are employed for 6 months, you have the opportunity to apply for other positions within the company.

Cons

Office layout segregates a lot of departments from each other making collaboration much harder. No catered breakfast / dinner, but honestly, we're not a culture that really needs it as we're usually at home for breakfast & dinner. Could use better health benefits as far as gym memberships go.

Love this place.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zendesk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and managers. The employees really seem to love the company, and the product, and believe in its focus. The customers love the product too. Just search for Zendesk on Twitter and see what I mean. How many companies get constant props for their customer service. If you know of any other than Zendesk, then they're probably are a customer of Zendesk.

Cons

The code base both for infrastructure and product can use quite a bit of work. But its a result of having to scale so quickly, and it seems to be their main focus now.

Keep up the good work. Keep listening to your lower people. They have great ideas and the company can greatly benefit from the many eyes on our product and plans. Also try to dogfood more.

There are newer employer reviews for Zendesk

Worked for Zendesk? Contribute to the Community!