Zillow

www.zillow.com
  www.zillow.com
There are newer employer reviews for Zillow

Zillow is a Great place to work!

Current Employee - Operations Support in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Operations Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

The working environment is the number #1 reason to work for Zillow. Common areas and stocked kitchens are a close #2.

The work hard, play hard mentality of this company as a whole is like none that I have ever seen (This is my first time working for an internet company). We work some long hours, for sometime weeks in a row. The company provides dinner for teams that stay late hours, and there are great parties after great successes. Zillow employees, are very well taken care of.

Cons

distance from home, is the only downside for me, in working for Zillow.

Another of my favorite things about this company is, Upper Management will hangout in the common area's talking with employees. They also do not look down on the other employees, this includes the CEO, and President.

239 Other Employee Reviews for Zillow (View Most Recent)

Meaningful, profitable work with a great team

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Great people whom you can trust to do their job well, great opportunity in an industry that can use innovation, and strong shared sense of mission to fulfill consumer needs. I feel lucky to work with this quality of colleagues on this kind of business opportunity with this redeeming a project.

One other thing -- transparency on strategy and performance to the whole company. This company is pretty unique in the degree to which everyone can know what's going on and how we're doing.

Cons

Things move fast -- you have to be comfortable living with the foot on the gas. As start-ups go, this is run as a survivable business. We're not on a forced march to IPO, leaving bodies along the path -- we have fun, people can take vacations. The people need to work long hours with some regularity, as we ship a lot of stuff, but certainly not every day.

The culture is straightforward, which can feel blunt and even harsh. Personally, I appreciate a culture where everyone (at every rung of the ladder) can say what they think -- as long as they back it up with data or rationale. There is little beating around the bush, which means things get done faster. Sometimes the bluntness involves less tact than it could, but hey this is a tech company.

Focus on developing mid managers, and helping mid managers train and develop their reports. We have smart people in some positions without a lot of management experience. Sometimes execs assume that smart people can automatically manage well. Some execs could also think about managing people more, not just projects and features. We do have some good execs on this front, but not all.

Love the place - wouldn't work anyplace else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros

Smart people, challenging work, huge potential, fast moving, solid strategy, great place to learn and grow

Cons

Not a public company, so no liquidity yet. Lots of upside in future value of stock options.

Let's keep moving fast!