Zillow

www.zillow.com

Meaningful, profitable work with a great team

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people whom you can trust to do their job well, great opportunity in an industry that can use innovation, and strong shared sense of mission to fulfill consumer needs. I feel lucky to work with this quality of colleagues on this kind of business opportunity with this redeeming a project.

One other thing -- transparency on strategy and performance to the whole company. This company is pretty unique in the degree to which everyone can know what's going on and how we're doing.

ConsThings move fast -- you have to be comfortable living with the foot on the gas. As start-ups go, this is run as a survivable business. We're not on a forced march to IPO, leaving bodies along the path -- we have fun, people can take vacations. The people need to work long hours with some regularity, as we ship a lot of stuff, but certainly not every day.

The culture is straightforward, which can feel blunt and even harsh. Personally, I appreciate a culture where everyone (at every rung of the ladder) can say what they think -- as long as they back it up with data or rationale. There is little beating around the bush, which means things get done faster. Sometimes the bluntness involves less tact than it could, but hey this is a tech company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing mid managers, and helping mid managers train and develop their reports. We have smart people in some positions without a lot of management experience. Sometimes execs assume that smart people can automatically manage well. Some execs could also think about managing people more, not just projects and features. We do have some good execs on this front, but not all.

Love the place - wouldn't work anyplace else

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros: Smart people, challenging work, huge potential, fast moving, solid strategy,… Cons: Not a public company, so no liquidity yet. Lots… Advice to Senior Management: Let's keep moving fast! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Zillow is a fun place to work and I get to be part of something new and revolutionary.

Product Team Lead (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow

Pros: Zillow is a cool place to work because I get to work on projects that are helping revolutionize an industry. Helping people who are interested… Cons: The fast pace can sometimes be overwhelming. Advice to Senior Management: Keep investing in great projects and the people that make… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Zillow.

Worked for Zillow? Contribute to the Community!