Zillow

www.zillow.com
  www.zillow.com
There are newer employer reviews for Zillow

Promising company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great engineering culture. Good work-life balance. Smart co-workers and awesome management.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Zillow Response

Nov 21, 2013CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you!

239 Other Employee Reviews for Zillow (View Most Recent)

A Boiler Room by any other name, still smells as rotten...

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits (Heath, Dental, 24 Hour Fitness membership- if I'd ever had time to go, stock options), plus "perks" to keep you perky like free espresso, coffee, Red Bull, Monster, sodas, and lunch catered once a week, plus once a month Happy Hours after work with apps and beer. Also, the company flew us to Seattle for the holiday party and put us up at the W hotel.

A few of the top Inside Sales Consultants DO actually earn a 6-figure income, and even with your base pay and hitting just quota, you can make a decent income.

Cons

11-12 hours days with lunch breaks severely frowned upon. Basically, if you take lunch, it's nearly impossible to hit your "call time" of 210 min per day- That's time spent TALKING on the phone- not counting dialing, ringing, etc. Can you say micromanagement?? I loved my job at Zillow for the first 2-3 months I was there. I thought it was the best job ever. This seems to be the path of most Inside Sales Consultants. You are given praise and encouragement and low, manageable quotas during your 'ramping' period of your first 3 months. You literally "drink the Kool Aid" (or Red Bull, in this case) and think Zillow is the Best Place ever.
    Then Reality sets in, as does the stress, micromanagement, constant stream of emails about your talk time being too low. If you enjoy receiving 300 emails per day asking what you are going to sell, telling you to join the next of a never ending stream of call "blitzes," this may be the job for you. Still, I think 6-9 months seems to be the threshold for about 85% of people, hence the turnover rate. This is a HIGH burnout job.
    If you are looking at working for Zillow and not reading many reviews like this, consider this: I recently quit my position to take another job. Several people I that started in my training class have been let go. (Actually from my class of 18, only 3 now remain.) I recently learned that when they are let go for not meeting quota, they are offered a severance pay in return for signing an agreement to not post anything negative online about the company. It seems they are buying the silence of anyone who might say anything non-positive about working there. I signed no such agreement. Just thought you should know this if considering taking the position.

Positive reinforcement always works much better than negative. There needs to be allowance for differences in people's styles. And for Pete's sake, turn down the Techno mus

Our leadership and mission honestly makes me excited to go to work every day!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't say enough good things about Zillow. The original founders and current leadership have infused the company with a passion beyond that of any other company I'm aware of. I believe we have a really great vision and an incredible about of growth potential ahead of us, and that makes the company so much fun to work out. Employees are treated very, very well, we have a really fun culture, we're paid well enough and have stock options that continue to grow, and we're still at that perfect size where a single employee can make a really big difference in the company as a whole.

Cons

Pay for engineers at least seems to be a bit below what other employers pay. You probably won't get a salary offer that matches one from Microsoft, Google, Amazon, or the like. That said, if you ask me, working at such a neat company w/ insane growth and potential for career advancement makes the tradeoff worth it.

Let's make sure we manage out lame employees. I've met a small number of mediocre workers who only care marginally about their work and Zillow as a whole, and we should do our best to not tolerate that.

Zillow Response

Dec 12, 2013CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad that you're having a great experience at Zillow.
    I agree that we need to keep guarding against the creeping forces of mediocrity. We must never become a
    ... More