There are newer employer reviews for Zillow

Always challenging environment full of great people and amazing views!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

The company has maintained a small company feel despite our rapid growth over the last three years. The people I work with are insightful, creative, and also really supportive and friendly. The work I do is challenging and recognition for great work is abundant. People are passionate about their work and it shows in the meetings and in the presentation of projects. The company is very transparent in its goals and processes, and knowledge sharing is encouraged. There is also a huge emphasis on work life balance, but people also recognize that sometimes those hours need to be put in to hit a deadline. I haven't had an issue with putting in those extra hours because in the long run it helps.

Cons

There are some big company politics that have creeped in subtly with the rapid hiring that we've done of people from the big boys in the area like Microsoft, Expedia, and Google, but most of it is squashed when they figure out how Zillow operates.

Advice to Management

The management and executive know how to foster community and encourage growth amongst team members. I never feel like I'm competing with my colleagues. I feel like we are working together towards a greater goal and that is something the management has done a really great job at fostering.

Zillow Response

Feb 23, 2014 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Now we're talking! I liked your review very much. If you ever see politics at Zillow and you want me to stamp it out, please either talk to me or email me. If you want to do it anonymously ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A good place to work with lots of smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good leadership vision and opportunities to grow, a place where good ideas can come from anywhere, get heard and get implemented

Cons

Benefits could be better, e.g., 401k matching, lower deductible health/dental plans

Advice to Management

Focus on the core. Some of the most important teams are not working as efficiently as they could be. It takes a frustrating amount time to get things done. Need to improve the process and put more of the best people on the core teams.

Zillow Response

Apr 1, 2014 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review, and I'm glad you are having success at Zillow. Regarding your comment that some teams aren't as efficient as they should be, I agree. If you ever have specific suggestions ... More

Slave Labor!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very pretty office with great free stuff! Some of your colleagues are cool! Great sales people that convince you this is a great place to work! Great Benefits and there is a great chance in making a lot of money.

Cons

Where to start? First off they have no value in their employees, each and every person aside from the CEO and CRO are replaceable. You either do things their way or your out! Complete micro-management and blatant favoritism (this will be denied) but they feed sales people that know how to brown nose properly. Being that you will be exempt from OT they will work you 10 to 12 hours a day , if you try leave earlier your manager will rep remand you in some passive aggressive manor (Great Management Skill). Be sure to check your commissions as well they have screwed people out of a lot money because they neglect to give you an understandable break down. I can go on and on about the ways they treat people but i think I have said enough.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage get trained by a real manager and value your employees. Teasing employees with management opportunities is wrong and rude!

Mar 28, 2014

Sorry to hear your experience at Zillow was so negative. We care deeply about the careers and enjoyment of all our teammates at Zillow. We expect our sales people to work hard and ethically and in ... More