An amazing 5 months

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What's better than a job that provides 3 weeks of vacation? A job that provides 3 weeks of vacation, plus 2 'hackweeks' in the year, where you get to team up with anyone else and let your creativity run wild. (I'd even trade one of my vacation weeks for an extra hackweek). To top it off, it doesn't hurt spending the remaining weeks innovating with dedicated and motivated teammates.

In five months here, I've had a chance to work on a pivotal feature, win at hackweek, and know that the senior folks are listening if I need them to. Zillow places a lot of emphasis on culture and looks for ways to keep innovating. If you're talented and motivated, consider spending your energy at Zillow, and my experience here so far says you'll get more energized in return.

Cons

Some of the legacy code can be challenging to navigate. On the positive side, most dev managers seem to be open to refactoring small chunks of code despite the obvious risks.

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad that you're having such a great experience here, and in particular that you're finding the work interesting and impactful. As you know, we try to keep our ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Amazing collaborative place to grow!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow as an intern

Pros

- Dedicated individuals working hard to create innovative products
    - Trust of upper level management to take on new projects
    - Room for professional growth
    - Everyone is very invested but yet open to your feedback and opinions, which I found to be very unique

Cons

- Such a nice place hard to leave
    - Can be challenging if not the type of person who like to take on challenges and needs tons structure

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

I'm glad you liked Zillow so much. Sorry to see you go, but thank you for the nice review.

Great work culture and awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is one of the big reason, I like working here. Smart people all around and you feel like going to work everyday, which wasn't the case at my last job. Management empowers engineers to innovate and ample freedom to experiment. You will be surprised how transparent the company is; you can walk up and talk to anyone from CEO or CTO.

Cons

Base salary could be higher, but I guess we are paying the price for other incentives. Sometimes I feel that there is lack of engineering challenges given the nature of business, and I feel my talent is underutilized.

Advice to Management

You guys do awesome job, and keep keep it up. Might want to revisit the compensation policy to keep in line with other companies around.

Jun 30, 2014CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience at Zillow, and that you appreciate the transparency with which we run the company.
     I was a little bummed that you're not feeling
    ... More