Zipcar

There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

Great people, poor pay

Current Employee - Member Services Associate
Current Employee - Member Services Associate

I have been working at Zipcar

Pros

-Feels like a family setting
-Management is very accommodating, nice and flexible
-Work load is easy (always doing personal things as there is not enough work to do)

Cons

-the pay is not competitive even though it states it on our website
-no room for growth unless you want to move to a different city

Our CEO makes $400,000 a year and just received a $34,00 raise with potential for a full bonus. They make us feel that they have no money to give us when we're doing a good job. We receive $.60 an hour raise per hour, which amounts to basically nothing.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Zipcar (View Most Recent)

Spirited, green startup

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Flexcar teams were fun, high-energy, and mission-driven. People wore many hats and improvised resourcefully to solve problems and get things done. Internal promotions grew people professionally and were good for morale.

Cons

Flexcar experienced some churn in ownership and management, and somewhat lacked process discipline (probably inevitable when growing so rapidly), but the strong prevailing can-do attitude counteracted the potential chaos.

Flexcar was acquired by Zipcar and integrated under the Zipcar brand and management team. The ideal company would leverage the high spirit of Flexcar along with with the lean process discipline of Zipcar.

An innovative operation full of passionate, fun people

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were smart, fun, fantastic at their jobs, and passionate about transforming car sharing into an attractive alternative to car ownership. The rapid growth of the company provides a lot of opportunities to transition into other roles and move to other locations. And since the company is in the middle of transitioning from a relatively unstructured startup to a more structured corporation, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company if you take the initiative to make suggestions and improvements.

Cons

As the company has grown and more standards and procedures have been implemented, the autonomy of the regional offices has decreased. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has led to some resentment from those who feel like their autonomy has diminished and their responsibilities are being taken away.

Also, the compensation and benefits are almost nonprofit-like. (I actually took a pay cut from a nonprofit job to work there.) Not surprising given that it is a young company still trying to reach profitability, but the passion for the product and entrepreneurial energy can only sustain employees for so long. At the time I left the company was just starting to turn its attention to this issue, so hopefully compensation levels and benefits are improving.

Continue building the HR function to ensure that employees feel appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar